The University of Michigan Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery fellowship under the directorship of Jeffrey S. Moyer, M.D., FACS and Jennifer C. Kim, M.D., and with collaboration with the Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, provides a broad base, hands-on exposure to a wide diversity of facial plastic and reconstructive surgical procedures including cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.
The goal of the fellowship is to provide an experience that covers the broad range of disciplines within facial plastic and reconstructive surgery including the contemporary methods of aesthetic surgery. A major emphasis of the fellowship is in the area of facial cosmetic surgery including most of the contemporary methods of aesthetic surgery. There is extensive exposure to facial trauma and facial reconstruction using local flaps.
- The major educational objectives include:
- Gaining proficiency in both the surgical and non-surgical management of the aging face
- Extensive understanding of facial reconstruction after Mohs surgery
- Proficiency in the management of maxillofacial trauma using state-of-the-art techniques
- Proficiency in Rhinoplasty procedures
- Effective management of congenital and acquired abnormalities of the head and neck
- Development and execution of a publishable and clinically meaningful research project
- Successful completion of the written an oral exam for the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Research and Teaching Responsibilities
Each fellow must perform some clinical or basic science research as required by all AAFPRS fellowship programs. Animal research facilities and limited funding is available. Residents are present at many of the surgical procedures and the fellow is responsible along with the attending physician to supervise them. The fellow will staff resident surgical procedures at the Veteran's Administration Hospital. Fellows may also be requested to present formal didactic lectures. A travel allowance is given for educational studies in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery.
How to Apply
The application process is completed through the Fellowship Database with the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) with a February 1 application deadline each year. Application requirements can be found listed on the AAFPRS website, along with any associated fees, as well as the match process that takes place through SF Match.