On January 17, 2014, our department lost a long-time employee and friend, Jean Hudgins. Jean served in our department as a surgery scheduler for 33 years. She was an amazing woman who found joy in her work and loved our patients. We will forever cherish her memory and miss her presence.
The Jean Hudgins Memorial Award for Patient-Centered Service Excellence
The Jean Hudgins Memorial Award for Patient-Centered Service Excellence is named in recognition of Jean Hudgins for her more than 30 years of service and leadership. This award is given annually to the UMHS Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (Oto-HNS) employee who demonstrates unwavering commitment, dedication and support to patient-centered service excellence. The recipient of this annual award is recognized at the annual State of Department Address.
All full and part-time regular Oto-HNS staff employed for a minimum of one year are eligible for nomination. The Oto-HNS Employee Recognition Committee will review all nominations and select the awardee.
- $100 financial award (taxable)
A nominee for The Jean Hudgins Memorial Award for Patient-Centered Service Excellence:
- Goes above and beyond to provide high-quality service when addressing operational and patient service issues
- Is recognized by peers as a model example of what it looks like to provide exceptional patient care
- Is compassionate and selfless, creating an environment supportive of the department’s goal to put patients and families first
When reviewing individual nominations, the selection committee will look for examples of sustained excellence in the individual’s service. Consideration will be given to those nominees who have made significant contributions and/or possess special qualities and attributes, such as:
- Exhibits strong work ethics and qualities such as dependability, patience and commitment
- Solves challenging problems by demonstrating creativity and innovation
- Assists in facilitating the success of others, whether through supervision, teamwork or individual assistance
- Demonstrates a willingness to take on new or additional tasks; pitches in when needed
- Fosters collaboration and cooperation among colleagues
- Extends extra effort to assist others, whether patients, faculty, staff or students
- Creates or supports a positive change in a department through patient service-based principles
- Shares time, information and tools with others in the organization to help improve and sustain excellent customer service delivery
- Takes risks to innovate and implement new customer service models
- Leads changes to take a department, unit, program or call center to new levels of performance and/or customer satisfaction
- Only Oto-HNS faculty and staff may nominate an Oto-HNS staff member for this award.
- Self-nominations and solicited nominations will not be accepted.
The Jean Hudgins Memorial Fund
Contributions to this fund support a small financial award given to the winner of The Jean Hudgins Memorial Award for Patient-Centered Service Excellence.