The Pediatric Nephrology Service evaluates and treats children with medical diseases of the kidneys and lower urinary tract.
Our General Nephrology Program providing a full range of nephrology care to infants, children and adolescents. Services include care for children with chronic kidney disease, kidney stones, glomerular disease, tubular disorders (renal tubular acidosis, cystinuria, Fanconi’s), along with common pediatric diagnosis (hematuria and proteinuria).
Our Clinical Faculty and highly experienced Pediatric Nurse Practitioners see patients in the clinics where specialized services include:
- Pediatric Dialysis Unit providing chronic dialysis services (hemodialysis and home peritoneal dialysis), and acute dialysis services (acute hemodialysis, continuous veno-venous hemofiltration, and therapeutic plasma filtration).
- Multidisciplinary Chronic Kidney Disease Clinic that comprehensively addresses the issues surrounding Pediatric Chronic Kidney Disease including discussion of the therapeutic options for end-stage Chronic Kidney Disease (hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and transplantation) to ensure educated choices and timely referrals.
- Pediatric Renal Transplant program that performs 15-20 new kidney transplants a year and follows approximately 100 post-transplant patients.
- Pediatric Interdisciplinary Systemic Inflammation Clinic (ISIC). In conjunction with our colleagues in Pediatric Rheumatology, ISIC provides coordinated care of children with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Systemic Vasculitis in a multidisciplinary team approach including physicians, nurses, social workers, and dieticians.
- Pediatric Hypertension Program with the ability to perform ambulatory blood pressure studies in children and Adolescents (in addition to the Pediatric Vascular Program.)
- Prenatal nephrology: Consultations are available for expectant mothers and fathers to discuss the potential complications of kidney disease diagnosed prenatally.