Pediatric Research Symposium
May 13-14, 2019
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
The Department of Pediatrics invites researchers from across Michigan Medicine to submit abstracts of their research in Pediatric Medicine/Children's Health.
Abstract submission deadline: March 15, 2019
POLICIES & GUIDELINES (Read this first)
- Abstracts submitted by the deadline and following abstract format guidelines will be accepted.
- Only one abstract per 1st author may be submitted.
- Abstracts recently submitted, or to be submitted, to national meetings are acceptable; these abstracts must follow the PRS abstract format guidelines.
- Abstracts are peer reviewed and ranked on the basis of scientific merit in the category selected. The Program Committee will use these rankings to develop the final meeting program (oral and poster presentations).
- Posters will be displayed in the Towsley Center Lobby for the Monday afternoon Poster Session and during the Tuesday morning activities.
- All abstracts submitted will be published in the Symposium proceedings / program booklet.
Poster & Platform Presentations
- Oral presentations will be selected on the basis of quality and topic of interest. Authors must be prepared to provide an oral presentation of their abstract if selected by the Program Committee to do so. Authors giving an oral presentation will not be expected to present a poster.
- Authors presenting in poster format must attend the main poster session on Monday evening.
- Authors must inform the Program Committee immediately if unable to present (oral or poster). Authors may confer with the Program Committee to designate a corresponding author to present, or may choose to retract the abstract.
- Poster printing information/services at U-M can be found at: http://guides.lib.umich.edu/c.php?g=283064&p=1885968
- Note: Poster boards are 3' H x 4' W. Posters do not have a special/standard format, nor do they have to be printed on glossy paper.
Abstract Format & Template
- Template: All abstracts must be submitted using this template prs_blank abstract_template.docx. This is a blank, 1/2-page (8.5" H by 5.5" W, portrait mode, with preset margins). Please see these samples as a guide:sample_abstracts.pdf
- Format: Use Arial Font 10 point (or larger), single space. DO NOT CHANGE THE MARGINS OF THE TEMPLATE.
- Simple graphs and tables may be included if they fit within this template page. Abstracts are limited to this 1/2 page.
- Save/download the blank template to your computer; type or paste your abstract (including title, authors, etc) into the blank template.
- Title and Authors. CAPITALIZE ENTIRE TITLE. State all author’s initials and last names followed by their divisional, departmental, and/or institutional affiliations.
- Underscore the “primary/submitting” author so we know who will be presenting the work. Do not include degrees, institutional appointments, street address or zip codes.
- Body. The abstract is to be written using the hypothesis method. Organize the body of the abstract to include the headings of background, objectives, design/method, results and conclusions. These headings should be in bold.
- Abbreviations. Place nonstandard abbreviations in parentheses after the full word the first time it appears. Do not use abbreviations in the abstract title.
Informed Consent & Disclosure
Investigators should consider and disclose potential conflicts of interest in connection with papers presented at the Symposium. Abstracts must comply with the following:
- Animals: Studies involving animals must conform to the “Guiding Principles in the Care and Use of Animals” of the American Physiological Society.
- Human Subjects: Studies involving human subjects must be conducted according to a protocol approved by an Institutional Review Board.
- Fill out completely and submit the Abstract Submission Form below.
- Download the abstract template prs_blank abstract_template.docx; following the abstract format guidelines above, complete and save the abstract as a Word document changing its file name to the submitting author’s last name (i.e.,NAME_PRS_2019).
- Attach and send (upload) your abstract via email to Abstrac.email@example.com