Student Life & Resources


Students and Postdocs with Children


Students with Children Website: University resources for students with children.

Child Care Subsidy Program: Students who have young, dependent children in childcare maybe eligible for this program, which provides funds to assist students with the cost of child care.

UM Housing for students with children: The University’s Northwood housing is apartment style living with an active and kid-friendly social scene. They also have playground areas, basketball and volleyball courts, and softball fields. Many students with children and families live in the Northwood community.

Graduate Student Parental Accommodation Policy: This policy assists graduate students immediately following the birth or adoption of a young child. The purpose of this policy is to make it possible for a student to maintain registered full-time student status, along with all the benefits of such a status, while facilitating participate in courses, research and teaching.

Postdoctoral Family Association: The UMPDFA advocates for access to institutional support and resources to meet the unique needs of postdocs with children/dependents.  They also cultivate community among the families of postdoctoral research and facilitate supportive networks of parents/caregivers and parents-to-be.

University Childcare Resources: On-campus childcare, emergency childcare and many more resources.

Rackham Graduate Student Professional Travel with Children Grant: The grant is intended to support Rackham graduate student parents who incur expenses while traveling with small children (under the age of 6) while attending conferences, workshops, meetings or other academic events as a part of their scholarly research or in pursuit of professional career readiness both within and outside of academia.

Lactation Rooms on Campus: This list, provided by the Work/Life Resource Center, indicates the location of lactation rooms on campus.

University Center for the Child and Family (UCCF): This University of Michigan facility offers a comprehensive range of mental health services for children and families in the community.

University Center for the Development of Language and Literacy (UCLL): The University Center for the Development of Language and Literacy provides language and literary services to adults and children. Their variety of programs helps families and individuals cope with the challenges of special education, learning disorders, learning disabilities, ADHD, ADD, and more.

Benefits Enrollment for Birth or Adoption:

Students with Disabilities

The University of Michigan and the Department of Pharmacology to ensuring that graduate students receive appropriate and reasonable accommodations so that all students are supported in all aspects of their educational experience, including their employment related to their graduate education. There are a number of campus resources available to help graduate students with disabilities navigate the accommodation process.

Policies and Procedures


Services for Students with Disabilities (SSWD). The University's Services for Students With Disabilities (SSWD) provides assistance regarding academic, economic, social, and recreational activities to students who have documented disabilities. Specific services available through SSWD include counseling, assistance with classroom accommodations, volunteer readers and note takers, sign language and oral interpreters, peer tutors, accessible transportation, orientation and registration assistance, special scholarships, tape recorders and talking calculators, aids for reading and studying, such as braille and large print materials, adaptive computer technology, and telecommunication devices for the deaf. Staff in SSWD also serve as intermediaries and advocates for students with disabilities. To register for services, or to volunteer as a reader, note taker, or tutor, contact Services for Students with Disabilities, G664 Haven Hall, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1045, 734-763-3000. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

UM Knox Adaptative Technology Computing Services. The James Edward Know Adaptive Technology Computing Site (Knox Center) meets the computing and information technology needs of people with temtemporary or ongoing physical, visual, learning, or ergonomic impairments. Current and prospective students are eligible to receive unlimited consultation from the Knox Center. Registration with the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities [SSD]) is not required to make an evaluation appointment. Appointments are usually scheduled between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. on weekdays; exceptions may be made.

Council for Graduate Students with Disabilities Website (CGSDI). The mission of the Council for Graduate Students with Disability Issues is to promote a physical environment, social climate, and academic setting in which students—particularly graduate students with disabilities—are welcomed, respected, and empowered.

Campus MindWorks.  A website for U-M students with mental health disorders. Provides information and resources to help students manage their illness and get the most out of their college experience.

UHS Resources for Students with Chronic Health Conditions. 

Office of Institutional Equity.  The Office for Institutional Equity (OIE) provides programs and services for faculty, staff, and students to support diversity, inclusiveness, equal access, equitable treatment, and cultural understanding and competency. OIE provides training and consultation on achieving and supporting diversity in the workplace, on Americans with Disabilities Act issues, and on preventing and resolving discrimination and discriminatory harassment.

Ann Arbor Disability Resources. City of Ann Arbor maintains a website with information and resources, including comprehensive lists of local and national resources and available accommodations for public transportation, city services, recreation, parking, and more.