In my role, I oversee four functional areas as indicated in my title and five teams, including the Medication Use Policy, Compounding Compliance, Quality & Safety, Diversion Prevention, and the Pharmacy Analytics team. I serve as an adjunct Professor of Pharmacy at the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy.
Pharmacy School Attended: University of Michigan (1985)
- Pharmacy Practice Residency, Lutheran General Hospital, 1986
- Participant, Total Quality 101, 102, 103, 104 - 1990
- Team Leader Certificate, Total Quality Process -1991
- Participant, Managing Diversity Workshop - 1993
- Participant, Seven Healthy Habits Workshop, Michigan Peer Review Organization Patient Care Symposium: HCFA's National Clinical Priorities - 2000
- Overview of Coded Medical Terminology and Cyber+LE lexicon software, Mediware Pharmacy System WORx Basic Training Certificate, MS Project 98 for Windows, Protection of Human Research Subjects -2001
- Microsoft Access: Introduction, Tables and Relationships, Queries, Introduction to SQL, Dreamweaver I, II, III. IV, Relational Database Design, SQL Introduction -2002
- Querying Microsoft SQL Server, Excel II, III, Digitizing Audio and Video, HIPAA Education -2003
- Allscripts/Eclipsys SCM XA Orders/Results, Allscripts/Eclipsys SCM XA Configuration 1, Allscripts/Eclipsys SCM XA Configuration 2, Allscripts/Eclipsys SCM XA 2060, Writing Medical Logic Modules -2004
- Lean Manufacturing Workshop -2005
- Team Work Recognition Award, Orders Management Project - 2006
- Conducting Effective Meetings -2007
- Write Winning Grant Proposals from theReviewer’s Perspective for Faculty -2015
- Advanced Course in Pharmacoeconomic Modeling, University of Arizona College of Pharmacy (Tucson, AZ), Update in Health Information Technology: Healthcare Data Analytics, Department of Medical Informatics & Clinical Epidemiology, Oregon Health & Science University (distance learning)-2017
- High Reliability Leadership Professional Development-2019
Areas of Interest
Pharmacy Analytics, Informatics, Medication Safety, Outcome associated with clinical pharmacy services
Honors & Awards
Fellow, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Penzien C, Tharp J, Mulzer K, Rurka C, Abbas C, Chaffee BW. Development of a Sterile Compounding Training and Competency Program at a Large Academic Medical Center. Am J Health-System Pharm. 2020
- Chaffee BW, Tharp JC, Clark JS, et. al. A Compounding Compliance Team at an Academic Medical Center. Am J Health-System Pharm.
- Dakwa DS, Marshall VD, Chaffee BW. The Impact of Drug Order Complexity on Prospective Medication Order Review and Verification Time. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2020;27:284–293.
- Boyd A, Chaffee BW. Critical Evaluation of Pharmacy Automation and Robotic Systems: A Call to Action. Hospital Pharmacy 2019;54:4-11.
- Chaffee BW, Lander MJ, Christen C, Redic K. Surface Contamination of Counting Tools after Mock Dispensing of Cyclophosphamide in a Simulated Outpatient Pharmacy. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2019;25:85-93.
- Wright KR, Dekarske B, Clark JS, Chaffee BW. Parenteral Product Error Detection Before and After Implementation of Intravenous (IV) Workflow Management Technology. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2019;25:5-15.
- Flynn AJ, Mo H, Nguyen JV, Chaffee BW. Initial Study of Clinical Pharmacy Work Prioritization Tools: Their Factors, Validation, and Some Insights from Using them in Practice. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2018;75:1122-31.
- Redic KA, Fang K, Christen C, Chaffee BW. Surface Contamination of Hazardous Drug Pharmacy Storage Bins andPharmacy Distributor Shipping Containers. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2018;24:91-97.
- Dekarske BM, Zimmerman CR, Grant PJ, Chaffee BW. Increased Appropriateness of Customized Alert Acknowledgement Reasons for Overridden Medication Alerts in a Computerized Provider Order Entry System. Int J Med Inform. 2015; 84:1085–1093.
- Engels ME, Clark JS, Chaffee BW. Comparison and Alignment of an Academic Medical Center's Strategic Goals with Pharmacy Practice Model (PPM) Recommendations. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2015;72:2065-2078.
- Troiano D, Jones MA, Smith AH, Chan RC, Laegeler AP, Le T, Flynn A, Chaffee BW. ASHP Guidelines on the Design of Database-Driven Clinical Decision Support: Strategic Directions for Drug Database and Electronic Health Records Vendors. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2015; 72:1499-505.
- Payne TH, Hines LE, Chan RC, Hartman S, Kapusnik-Uner J, Russ AL, Chaffee BW, Hartman C, Tamis V, Galbreth B, Glassman PA, Phansalkar S, van der Sijs H, Gephart SM, Mann G, Strasberg HR, Grizzle AJ, Brown M, Kuperman GJ, Steiner C, Sullins A, Ryan H, Wittie MA, Malone DC. Recommendations to Improve the Usability of Drug-Drug Interaction Clinical Decision Support Alerts. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2015;22:764-772.