I have recently transitioned from practicing as a clinical pharmacy specialist in psychiatry to focus on my administrative position supporting students’ personal and professional growth.
Pharmacy School Attended: University of Michigan College of Pharmacy (2004)
- Specialty residency in psychiatric pharmacy with Kaiser Permanente in Denver, CO, 2005
Areas of Interest
Impact of pharmacy services in psychiatry, Student mental health and well-being
Honors & Awards
- 2014 Teaching Excellence Award- University of Michigan College of Pharmacy
- P1 Student Appreciation Award, U-M College of Pharmacy in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2019
- DeBiase C*, Beleh M, Sweet G, Bostwick JR. Evaluating pharmacy students' use of examsoft-generated strength and opportunity reports. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning, in press.
- Cohen S*, Bostwick JR, Marshall VD, Kruse K^, Dalack GW, Patel P. The effect of a computerized best practice alert (BPA) system in an outpatient setting on metabolic monitoring in patients on second generation antipsychotics (SGAs). Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, in press.
- Chow CL, Kadouh NK*, VandenBerg AM, Bostwick JR. Akathisia in newer second-generation antipsychotic drugs: a review of current evidence. Pharmacotherapy. 2020;40(6):565-574.
- Funk MC, Beach SR, Bostwick JR, Celano CM, Hasnain M, Pandurangi A, Khandai AC, Taylor A, Levenson JL, Riba M, Kovacs RJ. QTc prolongation and psychotropic medications. Am J Psychiatry. 2020;177(3):273-4.
- Matsumoto AN*, DeSena D, Kuzma EK, Bostwick JR, Furgeson D, Yorke A, Inglehart MR. The evolution of an interprofessional education motivational interviewing workshop: finding the right balance. Journal of Interprofessional Education & Practice. 2020, in press.
- Wilson RE*, Choi SJ*, Parikh SV, Bostwick JR. Psychiatric prescribing patterns for depression treatment in an outpatient depression clinic. Psychopharmacol Bull. 2020;50(1):28-34.
- Parikh SV, Bostwick JR, Bastida M, Taubman DS. Improving psychiatric medication use through the Michigan e-Psychopharmacology course for nurse practitioners: a pre-post/follow-up studn. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2019;1-7.
- Caratelli LA*, Bostwick JR, Filter MS, Fitzgerald M, Ginier E, Templin T. Development and evaluation of an interprofessional seminar pilot course to enhance collaboration between health professions at a student-run clinic for underserved populations. Journal of Interprofessional Care. 2019, DOI: 10.1080/13561820.2019.1676208.
- Coe AB, Bostwick JR, Choe HM, Thompson AN. Provider perceptions of pharmacists providing mental health medication support in patient-centered medical homes. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 2019;59:555-9.
- Choi S*, Storey R*, Parikh SV, Bostwick JR. The impact of completing medication reconciliation and depression treatment history in an outpatient depression clinic. Psychopharmacology Bulletin. 2019;49(1):44-55.
- Parikh SV, Bostwick JR, Taubman DS. Videoconferencing technology to facilitate a pilot training course in advanced psychopharmacology for psychiatrists. Academic Psychiatry. 2019 Mar 19. doi: 10.1007/s40596-019-01050-w. [Epub ahead of print]
- Klein KC, Kelling SE, Pais K*, Lee CA*, Bostwick JR. From clinical assistant to clinical associate professor: Examination of a sample of promotion guidelines. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2020, in press.
- Kumar P*, Klein K, Bostwick JR. A pilot program featuring formative peer review of faculty at a college of pharmacy. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2018;10(9):1280-7.
- Lan L*, Bostwick JR, Andreasen A, Malas N. Neuroleptic prescribing and monitoring practices in pediatric inpatient medical and psychiatric settings. Hospital Pediatrics. 2018; Jun 12. pii: hpeds.2017-0129. doi: 10.1542/hpeds.2017-0129. [Epub ahead of print].
- Lindell VA, Stencel NL*, Ives RC*, Ward KM+, Fluent T, Choe HM, Bostwick JR. A pilot evaluating clinical pharmacy services in an ambulatory psychiatry clinic. Psychopharmacology Bulletin. 2018;48(2):18-28.
- Bostwick JR, Leung G*, Smith TL, Ahmed U, Bainbridge JL, Peyronnet J. Survey highlights the need to expand offerings of introductory pharmacy practice experiences in psychiatry and neurology: benefits and example experiences. Mental Health Clinician [Internet]. 2018;8(1):7-13. DOI: 10.9740/mhc.2018.01.007.
- Wolinsky D^, Drake K, Bostwick J. Diagnosis and management of neuropsychiatric symptoms in Alzheimer’s Disease. Current Psychiatry Reports. 2018;20(12):117.
- Tang SS*, Bostwick JR, Wells T, Kraft S. Mothers in academic pharmacy. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2018;10(9):1168-70.
- Bixby AL, VandenBerg A, Bostwick JR. Therapeutic controversies with serotonin reuptake inhibitors: to bleed or not to bleed? Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2018 Aug 6:1060028018794005. doi: 10.1177/1060028018794005. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kelling SE, Smith MA, Diez HL, Remington TL, Bostwick JR. Using the Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) model for continuous quality improvement of an established simulated patient program. Innovations in Pharmacy. 2018;9(2):Article 19.
- Zhang S*, Soreide KK*, Kelling SE, Bostwick JR. Quality assurance processes for standardized patient programs. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2018;10(4):523-528.
- Murphy LR, Choi S*, Bostwick JR. QT prolongation and antidepressants. Psychiatric Times. 2018;32(3).
- Gotlib D^, Bostwick JR, Calip S^, Perelstein E, Kurlander JE, Fluent T. Collaborative care in ambulatory psychiatry: content analysis of consultations to a psychiatric pharmacist. Psychopharmacology Bulletin. 2017;47(4):53-58.
- Albano ME*, Bostwick JR, Ward KM+, Fluent T, Choe HM. Discrepancies identified through a telephone-based, student-led initiative for medication reconciliation in ambulatory psychiatry. Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 2018;31(3):304-311.
- Caniff K*, Telega E*, Bostwick JR, Gardner KN. Pregabalin use in benzodiazepine discontinuation. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 2018;75:67-71.
- Dopheide JA, Bostwick JR, Goldstone LW, Thomas K, Nemire R, Gable KN, Cates M, Caballero J, Smith T, Bainbridge J. Curriculum in psychiatry and neurology for pharmacy programs. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2017;81(7): Article 5925.
- Tang SS*, Jaward L*, Ward K+, Parikh SV, Bostwick JR. Impact of a student pharmacist driven medication reconciliation and antidepressant treatment history project at a depression clinic: a pilot study. Psychopharmacology Bulletin. 2017;47(2):36-41.
- Morcos N^, Bostwick JR. MAO inhibitors: is concomitant use safe or too risky? A case study in treatment-refractory depression. Psychiatric Times. 2017;34(9):16G-16H.
- Farhat NM, Bostwick JR, Rockafellow SD. Improving PGY2 ambulatory care residency training in psychiatry. Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 2017 Jan 1: 897190017729598. doi: 10.1177/0897190017729598. [Epub ahead of print].
- Bostwick JR, Murphy LR. Metabolic monitoring of antipsychotic medications: what psychiatrists need to know. Psychiatric Times. May 2017:44-45.
- Bostwick JR, Demehri A. Pills to powder: an updated clinician’s reference for crushable psychotropic medications. Current Psychiatry. 2017;16(2):46-49.
- Kaminsky BM, Benitez LL, Bostwick JR, Early CR, Klein KC. Benefits of a concentrated teaching rotation: perspectives of pharmacy residents and faculty. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2017;9(1):4-8. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cptl.2016.08.030
- Soreide KK*, Ward KM+, Bostwick JR. Practical strategies for switching antidepressant medication. Psychiatric Times. 2017;34(12):16G-16H.
- Johnson JM*, Wu CY, Winder GS^, Casher MI, Marshall VD, Bostwick JR. The effects of cannabis on inpatient agitation, aggression, and length-of-stay. Journal of Dual Diagnosis. 2016;12(3-4):244-51. doi: 10.1080/15504263.2016.1245457
- Lee J*, Dalack GW, Casher MI, Eappen SA^, Bostwick JR. Persistence of metabolic monitoring for psychiatry inpatients treated with second-generation antipsychotics utilizing a computer-based intervention. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics 2016;41(2):209-13. doi: 10.1111/jcpt.12368
- Griebe K*, Caniff K*, Bostwick JR. Psychiatric pharmacists: key allies to improve metabolic monitoring. Psychiatric Services 2016;67:469–470. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.670501
- Arenz BJ, Diez HL, Bostwick JR, Kales HC, Zivin K, Dalack GW, Fluent TE, Standiford CJ, Stano C, Choe HM. Effectively implementing FDA medication alerts utilizing patient centered medical home clinical pharmacists. Healthcare. 2016;4(1):69-73. doi:10.1016/j.hjdsi.2015.07.001.
- Thomas SJ*, Shin M, McInnis MG, Bostwick JR. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors and other antidepressants or stimulants: strategies for the management of treatment-resistant depression. Pharmacotherapy. 2015;35(4):433-9. doi: 10/1002/phar.1576.
- Tai M*, Casher MI, Bostwick JR. How to prevent misuse of psychotropics among college students. Current Psychiatry. 2015;14(8):43-46.
- Kaminsky BM, Bostwick JR, Guthrie SK. Alternate routes of administration of antidepressant and antipsychotic medications. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2015:1-10. doi: 10.1177/1060028015583893.
Italicized names are pharmacy residents, name^ are psychiatry residents, name+ are pharmacy fellows, and name* are professional students with whom I have worked.