I have recently transitioned from practicing as a clinical pharmacy specialist in psychiatry to focus on my administrative position supporting students’ personal and professional growth.
Pharmacy School Attended: University of Michigan College of Pharmacy (2004)
- Specialty residency in psychiatric pharmacy with Kaiser Permanente in Denver, CO, 2005
Areas of Interest
Impact of pharmacy services in psychiatry, Student mental health and well-being
Honors & Awards
- 2022: Teaching Excellence Award- University of Michigan College of Pharmacy
- 2014 Teaching Excellence Award- University of Michigan College of Pharmacy
- P1 Student Appreciation Award, U-M College of Pharmacy in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2019
Published Articles or Reviews
Please note: Italicized names are pharmacy residents, name^ are psychiatry residents, name+ are pharmacy fellows, and name* are professional students with whom I have worked.
1. Dulellari S*, Vesey MR*, Mason NA, Marshall V, Bostwick JR. Needs assessment and impact of mental health training among pharmacy students. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2022, in press.
2. Powell KM*, Mason NA, Gayar L*, Marshall V, Bostwick JR. Impact of a pilot elective course to address student pharmacist well-being. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2021;13:1464-1470.
3. Silvia RJ, Lee KC, Bostwick JR, Cobb CD, Goldstone LW, Moore TD, Payne GH, Ho JL. Assessment of the current practice of psychiatric pharmacists in the United States. Ment Health Clin [Internet]. 2020;10(6):346-53.
4. DeBiase C*, Beleh M, Bostwick JR, Marshall VD, Sweet BV. Evaluating pharmacy student use of ExamSoft strength and opportunity reports. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2020;12:1431-36.
5. Cohen S*, Bostwick JR, Marshall VD, Kruse K^, Dalack GW, Patel P. The effects of a computerized best practice alert system in an outpatient setting on metabolic monitoring in patients on second generation antipsychotics. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2020;45:1398-1404.
6. Matsumoto AN*, DeSena D, Kuzma EK, Bostwick JR, Furgeson D, Yorke A, Inglehart MR. The evolution of an interprofessional education motivational interviewing workshop: Finding the right balance. Journal of Interprofessional Education & Practice. 2020:100342.
7. Wilson RE*, Choi SJ*, Parikh SV, Bostwick JR. Psychiatric prescribing patterns for depression treatment in an outpatient depression clinic. Psychopharmacol Bull. 2020;50(1):28-34.
8. Parikh SV, Bostwick JR, Bastida M, Taubman DS. Improving psychiatric medication use through the Michigan e-Psychopharmacology course for nurse practitioners: a pre-post/follow-up study. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2019;1-7.
9. Caratelli LA*, Bostwick JR, Filter MS, Fitzgerald M, Ginier E, Templin T. Development and evaluation of an interprofessional seminar pilot course to enhance collaboration between health professions at a student-run clinic for underserved populations. Journal of Interprofessional Care. 2019, DOI: 10.1080/13561820.2019.1676208.
10. Coe AB, Bostwick JR, Choe HM, Thompson AN. Provider perceptions of pharmacists providing mental health medication support in patient-centered medical homes. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 2019;59:555-9.
11. Choi S*, Storey R*, Parikh SV, Bostwick JR. The impact of completing medication reconciliation and depression treatment history in an outpatient depression clinic. Psychopharmacology Bulletin. 2019;49(1):44-55.
12. Parikh SV, Bostwick JR, Taubman DS. Videoconferencing technology to facilitate a pilot training course in advanced psychopharmacology for psychiatrists. Academic Psychiatry. 2019 Mar 19. doi: 10.1007/s40596-019-01050-w. [Epub ahead of print]
13. Klein KC, Kelling SE, Pais K*, Lee CA*, Bostwick JR. From clinical assistant to clinical associate professor: Examination of a sample of promotion guidelines. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2019;11(4):346-51.
14. Kumar P*, Klein K, Bostwick JR. A pilot program featuring formative peer review of faculty at a college of pharmacy. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2018;10(9):1280-7.
15. Lan L*, Bostwick JR, Andreasen A, Malas N. Neuroleptic prescribing and monitoring practices in pediatric inpatient medical and psychiatric settings. Hospital Pediatrics. 2018;8(7):410-8.
16. Lindell VA, Stencel NL*, Ives RC*, Ward KM+, Fluent T, Choe HM, Bostwick JR. A pilot evaluating clinical pharmacy services in an ambulatory psychiatry clinic. Psychopharmacology Bulletin. 2018;48(2):18-28.
17. Bostwick JR, Leung G*, Smith TL, Ahmed U, Bainbridge JL, Peyronnet J. Survey highlights the need to expand offerings of introductory pharmacy practice experiences in psychiatry and neurology: benefits and example experiences. Mental Health Clinician [Internet]. 2018;8(1):7-13. DOI: 10.9740/mhc.2018.01.007.
18. Gotlib D^, Bostwick JR, Calip S^, Perelstein E, Kurlander JE, Fluent T. Collaborative care in ambulatory psychiatry: content analysis of consultations to a psychiatric pharmacist. Psychopharmacology Bulletin. 2017;47(4):53-58.
19. Albano ME*, Bostwick JR, Ward KM+, Fluent T, Choe HM. Discrepancies identified through a telephone-based, student-led initiative for medication reconciliation in ambulatory psychiatry. Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 2018;31(3):304-311.
20. Dopheide JA, Bostwick JR, Goldstone LW, Thomas K, Nemire R, Gable KN, Cates M, Caballero J, Smith T, Bainbridge J. Curriculum in psychiatry and neurology for pharmacy programs. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2017;81(7): Article 5925.
21. Tang SS*, Jaward L*, Ward K+, Parikh SV, Bostwick JR. Impact of a student pharmacist driven medication reconciliation and antidepressant treatment history project at a depression clinic: a pilot study. Psychopharmacology Bulletin. 2017;47(2):36-41.
22. Johnson JM*, Wu CY, Winder GS^, Casher MI, Marshall VD, Bostwick JR. The effects of cannabis on inpatient agitation, aggression, and length-of-stay. Journal of Dual Diagnosis. 2016;12(3-4):244-51. doi: 10.1080/15504263.2016.1245457
23. Lee J*, Dalack GW, Casher MI, Eappen SA^, Bostwick JR. Persistence of metabolic monitoring for psychiatry inpatients treated with second-generation antipsychotics utilizing a computer-based intervention. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics 2016;41(2):209-13. doi: 10.1111/jcpt.12368
24. Griebe K*, Caniff K*, Bostwick JR. Psychiatric pharmacists: key allies to improve metabolic monitoring. Psychiatric Services 2016;67:469–470. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.670501
25. Arenz BJ, Diez HL, Bostwick JR, Kales HC, Zivin K, Dalack GW, Fluent TE, Standiford CJ, Stano C, Choe HM. Effectively implementing FDA medication alerts utilizing patient centered medical home clinical pharmacists. Healthcare. 2016;4(1):69-73. doi:10.1016/j.hjdsi.2015.07.001.
26. Thomas SJ*, Shin M, McInnis MG, Bostwick JR. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors and other antidepressants or stimulants: strategies for the management of treatment-resistant depression. Pharmacotherapy. 2015;35(4):433-9. doi: 10/1002/phar.1576.
27. Kraft SL, Baker NM*, Carpenter J*, Bostwick JR. Procarbazine and antidepressants: a retrospective review of the risk of serotonin toxicity. Psycho-Oncology 2014;23:108-113.
28. Delmonte MT, Bostwick JR, Bess JD, Dalack GW. Evaluation of a computer-based intervention to enhance metabolic monitoring in psychiatry inpatients treated with second generation antipsychotics. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2012;37(6):668-73. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2710.2012.01369.x
29. Poker LM, Chrymko MM, Bostwick JR. Electronic order sets and reminders significantly improve ordering of monitoring parameters for antipsychotic medications. Federal Practitioner 2010;27(8):9-14.
Other Practice or Teaching-Related Publications:
30. Genereaux M, Nguyen M, Bostwick JR, Vordenberg SE. Using the higher learning commission’s assessment culture matric to support continuous quality improvement of a simulated patient program. Innov Pharm. 2021;12(2): Article 10.
31. Mathew J,* Kraft S, Bostwick JR. Opportunities for pharmacists to impact student health on college campuses. J Am Coll Clin Pharm. 2021;4:855-861.
32. Harris SC, Bostwick JR, Werremeyer AB, Goldstone LW, Cates ME, Caley CF. Wellness and stigma: pharmacy’s ongoing conflict. Am J Pharm Educ. 2021 Aug;85(7):8354. doi: 10.5688/ajpe8354. Epub 2021 Feb 11.
33. Vordenberg SE, Diez HL, Ferguson C, Walker PC, Bostwick JR, Klein KC. Practical considerations for community-based health promotion events during the COVID-19 pandemic. Innov Pharm. 2021;12(2): Article 2.
34. Werremeyer A, Bostwick J, Cobb C, Moore TD, Park SH, Price C, et al. Impact of pharmacists on outcomes for patients with psychiatric or neurologic disorders. Ment Health Clin [Internet]. 2020;10(6):358-80. DOI: 10.9740/mhc.2020.11.358
35. Chow CL, Kadouh NK*, VandenBerg AM, Bostwick JR. Akathisia in newer second-generation antipsychotic drugs: a review of current evidence. Pharmacotherapy. 2020;40(6):565-574.
36. Funk MC, Beach SR, Bostwick JR, Celano CM, Hasnain M, Pandurangi A, Khandai AC, Taylor A, Levenson JL, Riba M, Kovacs RJ. QTc prolongation and psychotropic medications. Am J Psychiatry. 2020;177(3):273-4.
37. Wolinsky D^, Drake K, Bostwick J. Diagnosis and management of neuropsychiatric symptoms in Alzheimer’s Disease. Current Psychiatry Reports. 2018;20(12):117.
38. Tang SS*, Bostwick JR, Wells T, Kraft S. Mothers in academic pharmacy. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2018;10(9):1168-70.
39. Bixby AL, VandenBerg A, Bostwick JR. Therapeutic controversies with serotonin reuptake inhibitors: to bleed or not to bleed? Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2018 Aug 6:1060028018794005. doi: 10.1177/1060028018794005. [Epub ahead of print]
40. Kelling SE, Smith MA, Diez HL, Remington TL, Bostwick JR. Using the Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) model for continuous quality improvement of an established simulated patient program. Innovations in Pharmacy. 2018;9(2):Article 19.
41. Zhang S*, Soreide KK*, Kelling SE, Bostwick JR. Quality assurance processes for standardized patient programs. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2018;10(4):523-528.
42. Murphy LR, Choi S*, Bostwick JR. QT prolongation and antidepressants. Psychiatric Times. 2018;32(3).
43. Soreide KK*, Ward KM+, Bostwick JR. Practical strategies for switching antidepressant medication. Psychiatric Times. 2017;34(12):16G-16H.
44. Caniff K*, Telega E*, Bostwick JR, Gardner KN. Pregabalin use in benzodiazepine discontinuation. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 2018;75:67-71.
45. Morcos N^, Bostwick JR. MAO inhibitors: is concomitant use safe or too risky? A case study in treatment-refractory depression. Psychiatric Times. 2017;34(9):16G-16H.
46. Farhat NM, Bostwick JR, Rockafellow SD. Improving PGY2 ambulatory care residency training in psychiatry. Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 2017 Jan 1: 897190017729598. doi: 10.1177/0897190017729598. [Epub ahead of print].
47. Bostwick JR, Murphy LR. Metabolic monitoring of antipsychotic medications: what psychiatrists need to know. Psychiatric Times. May 2017:44-45.
48. Bostwick JR, Demehri A. Pills to powder: an updated clinician’s reference for crushable psychotropic medications. Current Psychiatry. 2017;16(2):46-49.
49. Kaminsky BM, Benitez LL, Bostwick JR, Early CR, Klein KC. Benefits of a concentrated teaching rotation: perspectives of pharmacy residents and faculty. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2017;9(1):4-8. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cptl.2016.08.030
50. Tai M*, Casher MI, Bostwick JR. How to prevent misuse of psychotropics among college students. Current Psychiatry. 2015;14(8):43-46.
51. Kaminsky BM, Bostwick JR, Guthrie SK. Alternate routes of administration of antidepressant and antipsychotic medications. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2015:1-10. doi: 10.1177/1060028015583893.
52. Vu L*, Tai M*, Bostwick JR. Antidepressant treatment concerns and recommendations for avoiding adverse events. US Pharm 2014;39(11):34-36.
53. Jasiak NM, Bostwick JR. Risk of QT/QTc prolongation among newer non-SSRI antidepressants. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2014;48(12):1620-8. doi: 10.1177/1060028014550645
54. Bostwick JR, Burghardt K+, Choe HM, Deneke E, Fluent T. Opportunities to partner with clinical pharmacists in ambulatory psychiatry. Current Psychiatry 2014;13(7):23-9.
55. Gardner KN, Bostwick JR. Medication Prescribing in Liver Dysfunction. Mental Health Clinician. 2014;4(3):76. Available at: http://cpnp.org/resource/mhc/2014/05/medication-prescribing-liver-dysfun.... Accessed May 08, 2014.
56. Bostwick JR, Demehri A^. Pills to powder: a clinician’s reference for crushable psychotropic medications. Current Psychiatry. 2014;13(5):e1-e4.
57. Funk KA, Bostwick JR. A comparison of the risk of QT prolongation among SSRIs. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2013;47(10):1330-41. doi: 10.1177/1060028013501994
58. Bostwick JR, Hallman I. Agitation management strategies: overview of non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic interventions. Medsurg Nursing 2013;22(5):303-7.
59. Funk KA*, Bostwick J. Paliperidone palmitate injection site. Issues in Mental Health Nursing 2013;34(10):779-82.
60. Gardner KN*, Bostwick JR. Antipsychotic treatment response in schizophrenia. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy 2012;69:1872-9.
61. Bostwick JR. Success in academia: tips for balancing clinical and faculty roles. The Mental Health Clinician 2012;1(10):11. Available at: http://cpnp.org/resource/mhc/2012/03/success-academia-tips-balancing-cli.... Accessed April 4, 2012.
62. Bostwick JR, Casher MI, Yasugi S^. Benzodiazepines: a versatile clinical tool. Current Psychiatry 2012;11(4):55-64.
63. Bostwick JR, Le CH. Pharmacogenetics and depression: realized dream or great expectation? US Pharmacist 2011;36(11):72-76.
64. Casher M, Yu MA, Bostwick JR. How to prevent morbidity and mortality from prescription psychotropics. Current Psychiatry 2011;10(7):55-64.
65. Gih D^, Bostwick J, Casher M. The use of T3 in antidepressant augmentation. Current Psychiatry 2011;10(7):43-4.
66. Yu MA, Bostwick JR, Hallman I. Warfarin drug interactions: strategies to minimize adverse drug events. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners 2011;7(6):506-12.
67. Howell HR, McQueeney M, Bostwick JR. Prescription sleep aids for the treatment of insomnia. US Pharmacist 2011;36(1):62-6.
68. Bostwick J. The heart of depression: treating patients who have cardiovascular disease. Current Psychiatry 2011;10(1):31-4.
69. Casher M, Bostwick J, Feurino L^. When is lamotrigine a good choice? Current Psychiatry 2010;9(10):90-1.
70. Allen KS, Bostwick JR. Role of hyperparathyroidism in the management of depression and anxiety. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association 2010;16(2):101-4.
71. Bostwick JR, Guthrie SK, Ellingrod VL. Antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia. Pharmacotherapy 2009;29(1):64-73.
72. Bostwick JR, Diez HL. Optimizing care for patients with depression in the community pharmacy setting. US Pharmacist 2008;33(11):24-28.
73. Bostwick J, Howell H, Brady M. Beginning your career in academia at a new college of pharmacy. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 2008;65:1694-8.
74. Casher M, Bostwick J. LITHIUM: Using the comeback drug. Current Psychiatry 2008;7(5):59-60.