I am a clinical assistant professor at the College of Pharmacy and a clinical specialist in the Critical Care Medicine Unit or Medical ICU. I also work to help to advance the care of patients with Post-ICU Syndrome.
Pharmacy School Attended: University of Illinois Chicago College of Pharmacy (2013)
- PGY1 Pharmacy Residency: Cleveland Clinic
- PGY2 Critical Care Residency: Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Fun Fact: I like to travel and explore local restaurants (pre-COVID), but have been working on cooking and grilling at home since then!
Areas of Interest
Critical Care Pharmacotherapy, Post-ICU Syndrome and long-term outcomes from critical illness
Honors & Awards
UM College of Pharmacy, Phi Delta Chi Faculty Teaching Appreciation Award, P3 Class of 2022 (2020)
Wake Forest Baptist Health Pharmacy Residency Preceptor of the Year (2018)
- Kenes MT, McSparron JI, Marshall VD, Renius K, Hyzy RC. Propofol-Associated Hypertriglyceridemia in Coronavirus Disease 2019 versus Noncoronavirus Diease 2019 Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Crit Care Explor. 2020;16:2(12):e0303
- Stringer KA, Puskarich MA, Kenes MT, Dickson RP. COVID-19: The Uninvited Guest in the Intensive Care Unit - Implications for Pharmacotherapy. Pharmacotherapy. 2020;40(5):382-6.
- Goad NT, Bakhru RN, Pirkle JL, Kenes MT. Association of Hyperchloremia With Unfavorable Clinical Outcomes in Adults With Diabetic Ketoacidosis. J Intensive Care Med. 2019. PMID: 31342846.
- Summers KL, Mihm AE, Kenes MT. Direct Oral Factor Xa Inhibitors in Patients with Morbid Obesity. Lancet Haematol. 2019. PMID: 31471006.
- Bakhru RN, Davidson JF, Bookstaver RE, Kenes MT, Peters SP, Welborn KG, Creech O, Morris PE, Files DC. Implementation of an ICU Recovery Clinic at a Tertiary Care Academic Center. Crit Care Expl 2019;1(8):e0034.
- Coe AB, Boostaver RE, Fritschle AC, Kenes MT, MacTavis P, Mohammad RA, Stollings JL. Pharmacists’ Perceptions on their Roles, Activities, Facilitators, and Barriers to Practicing in a Post-Intensive Care Recovery Clinic. Hospital Pharmacy Jan 2019. DOI: 10.1177/0018578718823740.
- Bakhru RN, Davidson JF, Bookstaver RE, Kenes MT, Welborn KG, Morris PE, Files DC. Physical Function Impairment in Survivors of Critical Illness in an ICU Recovery Clinic. J Crit Care 2018;45:163-9.
- Kenes MT, Stollings JL, Wang L, Girard TD, Ely EW, Pandharipande PP. Persistence of Delirium after Cessation of Sedatives and Analgesics and Impact on Clinical Outcomes in Critically Ill Patients. Pharmacotherapy. 2017;37(11):1357-65.