My clinical service supports the inpatient palliative care consult services and beds, the outpatient palliative care clinics, and an outpatient chronic pain clinic.
Pharmacy School Attended: University of Pittsburgh (2011)
- PGY1 Pharmacy: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (2012)
- PGY2 Internal Medicine: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (2013)
Areas of Interest
Safe and appropriate use of medications, particularly analgesics, in palliative care patients and cancer survivors
- McGiness T, Smith MA, Waite LH. Impact of a problem-based learning elective on performance in non-problem based learning required courses. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2020. In Press.
- Lagisetty P, Smith A, Antoku D, Winter S, Smith MA, Jannausch M, Choe HM, Bohnert ASB, Heisler M. A physician-pharmacist collaborative care model to prevent opioid misuse. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2020; 77: 771-80.
- Quirk K (resident), Smith MA. Acetaminophen in patients receiving strong opioids for cancer pain. J Pain Palliat Pharmacother. 2020; In Press.
- Godley E, Smith MA. Efficacy of acupressure for chronic low back pain: a systematic review. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. 2020; 39. 101146.
- Smith MA, Quirk K (resident), Saul D, Rodgers P, Silveira MJ. Comparing methadone rotation to consensus opinion. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2020; 59: 116-20.
- Thiel M, Harden K, Brazier LJ, Marks A, Smith MA. Evaluation tools for interdisciplinary palliative care learning experiences –a literature review. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2020;23 (5): 698-702.
- Walter KS (student), Gillespie H (student), Moqbel D (student), Choe HM, Smith MA. The impact of palliative care interventions on medication regimen complexity. Journal of Palliative Meidcine. 2020; 23 (2): 156-7.
- Caudle KE, Gammal RS, Karnes JH, Afanasjeva J, Anderson KC, Barreto EF, Beavers C, Bhat Shubha, Birrer KL, Chahine EB, Ensor CR, Flowers SA, Formea CM, George JM, Gosser RA, Hebert MF, Karaoui LR, Kolpek JH, Lee JC, Leung JG, Maldonado AQ, Minze MG, Pulk RA, Shelton CM, Sheridan M, Smith MA, Soefje S, Tellez-Corrales E, Walko CM, Cavallari LH. PRN Opinion Paper: Application of precision medicine across pharmacy specialty areas. Journal of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy. 2019; 2: 288-302.
- Jaward L (student), O’Neil TA, Marks A, Smith MA. Differences in adverse effect profiles of corticosteroids in palliative care patients. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. 2019; 36 (2): 158-68.
- Smith MA, Cho K (student), Rodgers P. Provider perspectives on topical analgesics. Journal of Pain and Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy. 2018; 32 (1): 44-8.
- Vordenberg SE, Smith MA, Diez HL, Remington TL, Bostwick JR. Using the Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) model for continuous quality improvement of an established simulated patient program. Innovations in Pharmacy. 2018; 9 (2): Article 19.
- Dadiomov D (resident), Keefer P, Smith MA. Using the LACE score as a predictor of clinical outcomes in patients referred for inpatient palliative care consultation: A single center experience. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. 2018 Jul 31;1049909118793177.
- Pickmans L (student), Smith MA, Keefer P, Marks A. Management of ischemic limb pain #352. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2018;21 (5): 720-1.
- Owusu Obeng A, Hamadeh I, Smith MA. Review of opioid pharmacogenetics and considerations for pain management. Pharmacotherapy. 2017; 37 (9): 1105-21.
- Smith MA, Waite LH. Utilization of a virtual patient for advanced assessment of student performance in pain management. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2017; 9 (5): 893-7.
- Gillespie H (student), Smith MA, O’Neil TA. Transplant medication management for patients nearing end-of-life #333. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2017; 20 (8): 895-6.
- Alpert CM, Smith MA, Hummel SL, Hummel EK. Symptom burden in heart failure: assessment, impact on outcomes, and management. Heart Failure Reviews. 2017; 22: 25-39.
- Smith MA, Siemianowski LA, Benedict NJ. Virtual patient case sharing across two schools of pharmacy. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 80 (9): Article 153, 2016.
- Smith MA, Regal RE, Mohammad RA. Daclatasvir: A NS5A replication complex inhibitor for hepatitis C infection. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 50(1): 39-46, 2016.
- Smith MA. New guidelines for management of low back pain. Pharmacotherapy Updates, 13 March 2017. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 2017. AccessPharmacy. http://accesspharmacy.mhmedical.com/updatesContent.aspx?gbosid=354423&se....