The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation is seeking a Certified Prosthetic Technician to work at the Orthotics and Prosthetics Center.
Why work for UM Orthotics and Prosthetic Center?
UM Orthotics and Prosthetics Center, a Division of the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, provides state-of-the-art services to adults and children requiring orthotic and prosthetic devices and is committed to providing outstanding customer service. For over 100 years the University of Michigan Orthotics and Prosthetics Center has provided exceptional service to a diverse patient population and is the largest, free standing O&P facility in the nation. We are an Ambulatory Center, easily accessible on South Industrial Drive and have onsite parking.
- Independently fabricate prosthetic devices according to clinical work order. Deliver a professionally fabricated device to provide the patient optimal fit, function, cosmesis and workmanship.
- Follow procedures as dictated by lean thinking guidelines.
- Fabricate prostheses to support the prosthetist in providing care to patients with partial or total absence of a limb.
- Perform repairs and maintenance of prosthetic devices
- Provide on-call & walk-in coverage as needed.
- Assist in training and orienting fellow prosthetic technicians, O&P residents, students and volunteers.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by Orthotic and Prosthetic Fabrication Laboratory Manager and O&P Clinical and Technical Director.
- Prior experience in the Orthotics and Prosthetics field
- Ability to efficiently meet deadlines while maintaining quality in a fast paced environment
- Must have excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently
- Creative craftsman with proven problem solving skills
- Must be familiar with properties of pertinent material
- Must be skilled in the use of appropriate equipment
- Certification as a Prosthetic Technician by the American Board of Certification in Orthotics and prosthetics (CTP)
- Requires registration, certification, or licensure with the appropriate agency as identified by the Primary Source Verification Matrix.
- Must be able to multi-task in a dynamic fabrication lab
Requirements for Non-Certified Orthotic & Prosthetic Technician
- May just be starting training or has completed on the job training or an accredeited technician program and is training for or is eligible for Amercian Board for Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics (ABC) technician examination
- Minimum five years experience as an ABC Certified Prosthetic Technician
- Current with certification and new fabricating techniques
- Upper extremity prosthetic fabrication
- Self-starter with the ability to train, motivate and educate staff
Certified Orthotic Technicians (CTO) and non-certified applicants are encouraged to apply however will be required to pursue CTP certification. Certified Orthotic and Prosthetic Technicians (CTPO) are encouraged to apply however the the focus of the position with be on prosthetic fabrication.
Interested candidates should apply online at: