This program was developed for 62+ year old individuals interested in improving their overall fitness level, function, strength balance, posture, and well-being. Participants attend at least 2 days per week for 8 weeks.
Functional Fitness for Older Adults is an exercise program that was developed to help participants combat the detrimental physical and cognitive effects of aging such as:
- Muscle loss (sarcopenia)
- Compromised balance and reaction time
- Bone loss (osteopenia & osteoporosis)
- Decreased muscular endurance & energy
- Decreased flexibility
- Worsened posture
- Increased frailty
- Dementia & diminished cognition
Numerous studies in the area of aging and exercise has demonstrated that regular exercise is very effective in reducing the negative physical, cognitive and emotional effects of aging. (ACSM, 2012).
Our 8-week FUNctional Fitness for Older Adults (FFOA) exercise class is designed to improve your overall function, health, independence and quality of life. You will learn exercises to improve your strength, endurance, coordination, balance, reaction time and flexibility.
Functional Fitness for Older Adults is a supervised gym program that requires each person to move from one piece of equipment to another independently or with minimal assistance. Our Fitness Specialists supervise and assist participants as they train on equipment. We also include a variety of exercises that improve strength, balance, and coordination that can be performed in the studio and home. Each session meets for 60 minutes, 2 times per week for 8 weeks on the following days.
Monday & Wednesday Sessions
9:30 am - 10:30 am
10:30 am - 11:30 am
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Tuesday & Thursday Sessions9:30 am - 10:30 am
10:30 am - 11:30 am
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
You can register for a Monday/Wednesday session or a Tuesday/Thursday session at any time during a session. Each person decides how much time they want to spend at the studio completing their exercises. The program allows a lot of flexibility if the scheduled time of your session conflicts with an outside appointment such as a doctors appointment. Participants are encouraged to come in during our open gym hours after 3:30 pm weekdays, during selected class time on Friday, or 8:00 am - 1:00 pm on Saturday.
Complimentary stretching and balance classes are available for FFOA participants at various times throughout the week. Class times are subject to change.
Criteria for admission:
62 years of age and older (exceptions may be considered)
Participants must be able to understand and retain verbal and visual instruction, and walk with or without a cane or walker.
Written exercise clearance from your doctor is required prior to your initial fitness assessment
Completion of a health history intake form, signed release and fitness assessment.
If you have any questions regarding your ability to participate in our program please call us at 734-232-1196.
Due to the popularity of the program space is limited. Call for availability.
- An initial fitness assessment to measure your fitness level in the areas of strength, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, balance and agility.
- An initial consultation with a degreed Exercise Specialist to review your health history, exercise experience, fitness and functional goals.
- Two supervised group exercise sessions per week for 8 weeks, and access to the studio during your enrollment period.
- Orientation and on-going instruction on exercise equipment including strength, treadmills, NuSteps, recumbent and upright stationary bikes, elliptical, bands, balls, free weights, etc.
- On-going introduction to home exercises to improve balance, posture, coordination and flexibility. Every two weeks we will introduce participants to a new exercise they can perform at home.
Initial 8-week $175 $325
8-week Renewal $120 $220
*Must live in the same household
UMHS Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Transitions Training Studio
325 East Eisenhower Parkway
Garden Level, Suite 12
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
We accept checks, Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express
Sorry, we do not accept insurance
Prices are subject to change without notice
For more information contact us: