Dr. Malas received his Doctor of Medicine and Master of Public Health from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. He completed combined training in Pediatrics, General Psychiatry, and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Dr. Malas currently holds a dual appointment in the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the Department of Pediatrics. Dr. Malas serves as the Director of the Pediatric Consult and Liaison Psychiatry Service and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Service Chief for the C.S. Mott Children’s and Women’s Hospital. His areas of clinical and academic interest include pediatric delirium, neuropsychiatric disease, agitation and aggression care, somatic symptom and related disorders and motivational interviewing.
Dr. Malas currently sits on several health system committees including leading a health system wide debriefing workshop and curriculum, as well as chairing the C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital’s Mental Health Quality and Safety Committee. He has co-authored several clinical practice guidelines and protocols to support standardized, evidence-based care for youth with co-morbid mental health concerns in pediatric care settings.
Dr. Malas has been engaged in local and national efforts in medical education, service development and quality improvement, as well as trainee wellness. Currently, Dr. Malas is an active member of the Physically Ill Child Committee through the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and is co-Chair of the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Committee through the American Association of Emergency Psychiatry. He is serving his second multi-year appointment to the National Editorial Board of the Psychiatry Residency In-Training Examination (PRITE). At the national level, he has been actively informing national consensus practice relating to pediatric delirium, somatic symptom and related disorders, and agitation and aggression management.
Areas of Interest
- Motivational Interviewing and Health Behavior Change Counseling
- Psychiatric comorbidities in youth with chronic physical health concerns
- Somatic Symptom and Related Disorders
- Delirium and Other Neuropsychiatric Disease
Nasuh Malas, M.D., interviewed by WXYZ Detroit.
Dr. Malas provides his insight in an episode about psychiatry support in an in-patient pediatric setting.
A year into the pandemic, emergency rooms nationwide are seeing a rise in kids experiencing mental health crises. Dr. Nasuh Malas provides his insights.
Clinicians, families, and patients all report frustration with SSRD treatment in hospitals. It’s time to improve it.
- Fellowship, Pediatrics/General Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Residency, Pediatrics/General Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Internship, Pediatrics/General Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- MD, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- Maternal Child Health- Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental Disability Certificate, Waisman Center
- MPH, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- BS, Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Wisconsin-Madison