Common Questions

Who can participate?

The Michigan Opioid Collaborative serves and supports the ENTIRE state of Michigan. We are here to help support any providers in Michigan with a desire to provide MAT. Currently, we have Behavioral Health Consultants (BHCs) locally stationed in:

  • Lenawee
  • Livingston
  • Monroe
  • Upper Peninsula
  • Washtenaw

MOC BHC Region map


Shouldn’t a person go to an Opioid Treatment Program (OTP), also known as a “methadone clinic”?

Not necessarily.  Some patients have been in treatment at OTPs and they need ongoing support, but no longer require the level of treatment that an OTP specializes in providing.  Some also need to work full-time or live at a difficult distance from available OTPs and cannot go daily.  Providing MAT to patients in an office-setting can help a patient to seek treatment in a confidential and safe way while still being able to manage other responsibilities.

Also, buprenorphine and other medications used in MAT are safe to use when prescribed properly with the right monitoring.  MOC is here to help you so that you can feel confident prescribing while you have Peer Mentoring from our Psychiatrists/Physicians who specialize in treating addictions using MAT. 

Why would I benefit from this program?

You can receive Peer Mentoring from University of Michigan addiction specialists to help you treat patients with Opioid Use Disorders (OUDs) using Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT). 

Additionally, we have Behavioral Health Consultants (BHCs) who are community-based and can provide direct patient support and referrals, as well as phone referrals to clinic staff for patients needing OUD treatment or other community resources and information.

How do I begin to provide MAT?

In order to provide MAT, you will need at DATA Waiver from the DEA.  This can be done by taking some additional classes and then by applying for the waiver.  Our team is happy to help you with this process. 

Once you have the DATA Waiver, the University of Michigan addiction specialists are here to help you as you begin providing MAT.  We are just a call away at 734-763-9500.

Can I use MAT in my practice if I don’t want to have addiction treatment be the focus of my practice?

Yes! Some providers choose to only use MAT with patients in their existing panel.  If every eligible prescriber treated only their current patients in need of MAT, the gap between treatment need and capacity in the U.S. could be substantially narrowed.  

If I already use MAT in my practice, can the program do anything for me?

If you are healthcare professional in Michigan using methadone, buprenorphine, or naltrexone to treat OUDs, please feel free to contact us.  We are building a network of support for MAT providers.  We can also assist you in identifying additional resources for your patients, provide Peer Mentoring, and support when you encounter a new clinical challenge.

How do I sign up or what is required to enroll?

Just contact us via and we will walk you through the process.

What does it cost to join the MOC program?

The MOC program is FREE to all participants for the MAT Psychiatrist/Physician consultation and Behavioral Health Consultant support.