When it comes to mental health, women have unique needs and experiences, and many women experience challenges at times of hormonal changes and life transitions, especially during pregnancy, postpartum and perimenopause. Many women experience mood, anxiety, or trauma-related difficulties during these times and are in urgent need of time-sensitive, safe and effective specialized care.
The Perinatal Psychiatry Clinic is a specialized destination clinic designed to provide state-of-the-art assessment, support and therapeutic intervention services to women throughout the reproductive life cycle. The clinic has a particular focus on pregnancy and postpartum and is aimed at improving and maintaining the mental health and well-being of mothers and their families.
The clinic focuses on reproductive mental health, including:
- Pre-conception planning
- Anxiety and mood disorders during pregnancy and postpartum
- Breast-feeding difficulties causing emotional distress
- Reproductive loss
- Mood disorders related to reproductive hormone changes such as premenstrual dysphoric disorder and perimenopausal mood changes
1 in 5 women struggle with mood issues in pregnancy and postpartum. Many feel alone and stigmatized. The Perinatal Psychiatry Clinic connects women with safe and effective treatments and the care they deserve.
Perinatal Psychiatry Clinic team members are experts in reproductive mental health and come from many disciplines, including psychiatry, nursing, psychology and social work. They focus on making comprehensive evaluations available to women in a time-sensitive manner, and provide a broad range of evidence-based services including psychotherapy, complementary approaches, and safe medication management.
- Psychoeducation on women’s mental health and well-being
- Diagnostic evaluation and personalized needs assessment
- Expertise in medication management during pregnancy and postpartum
- Non-pharmacological wellness coaching
- Individual and group psychotherapy
- Assistance with resources and community referrals
- Care coordination and consultation with other pregnancy and postpartum providers
- Support with postpartum healthy mother-infant bonding
For more information or to schedule an evaluation, call 734-764-0231 and ask for the Perinatal Psychiatry Clinic.
Meet our team:
- Maria Muzik, M.D., Co-Director
- Juan Lopez, M.D., Co-Director
- Karla Blackwood, M.D.
- Jacek Debiec, M.D., Ph.D.
- Samantha Shaw, M.D.
- Leslie Swanson, Ph.D.
Clinical Social Workers:
- Kate Bullard, LMSW, MPH, Clinic Manager
- Katie Bresky, LMSW
- Natalie Burns, LMSW
- Rachel Fogelberg, LMSW
- Martin Heggestad, LMSW
- Rachel Slone