Dr. Marcus is a Clinical Professor at the University of Michigan, Section Chief for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Co-Director of the Infant and Early Childhood Clinic (IECC). She joined the faculty of the department in 1991 and became the Division Director in the Adult Ambulatory Psychiatry in 1996. Dr. Marcus was appointed Section Director of the Child and Adolescent Section in 2005. Her areas of interest include intergenerational transmission of illness, maternal child attachment and early risk factors for childhood psychiatric illness including presentation of autism in toddlers.
Additionally, Dr. Marcus is involved with children with complex illnesses including fetal alcohol spectrum disorders, post-traumatic stress disorders and exposure to toxic stress including violence and poverty. Dr. Marcus has worked on several NIH-funded research projects including a project to examine the impact of interpersonal therapy treatments in pregnancy and postpartum and impact on maternal and child outcomes. She has served as a Co-Investigator on a large NIH trial (STAR*D) to understand pharmacologic and therapeutic outcomes in depression management. She also serves as a current PI on a state-wide Centers for Medicare and Medicaid and State of Michigan grant to examine uses of telepsychiatry and phone consultation to provide consultative services for women and children in rural Michigan (Michigan Child Collaborative Care Program – MC3). The program now operates in most Michigan counties and has fielded more than 6000 consultations state-wide.
Areas of Interest
- Depression in childbearing women
- Medication use in pregnancy
- Prevention strategies for depression in women
- Internet-based educational outreach strategies
- Infant and early childhood mental health
- Relational and attachment issues
- Trauma identification and treatment in early childhood
- Integration of mental health and primary care: teleconsultation and telepsychiatry
- University of Michigan Child Psychiatry Fellowship and Residency Training Programs 1983-1991
- University of Michigan Medical School 1979-1983
- University of Michigan College of L.S.A. 1975-1979