The department of Radiology joins Michigan Medicine and the University of Michigan in observing significant events throughout the year. Please visit the Office for Health Equity and Inclusion site to learn more about initiatives specific for Michigan Medicine.
The Department of Radiology will be known as a leader in Michigan Medicine and the University of Michigan for how we build, implement, and sustain initiatives to improve diversity, equity and inclusion for our entire workforce. This will not only increase the well-being of all of our entire workforce but positively impact the care that we provide to our entire patient population regardless of age, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic and health status, gender and sexual orientation.
Youth Summit at the Big House
The Department of Radiology was among 29 departments participating in the 2nd Annual Michigan Medicine Youth Summit at the Big House on Saturday, May 20, 2023. Over 450 students in grades 4 through 9 attended this regional outreach event organized by Michigan Medicine’s Office of Health Equity and Inclusion. Inspired by the Black Men in White Coats documentary, the Youth Summit at the Big House engaged middle and high school students from schools across southeast Michigan with diverse Michigan Medicine healthcare teams. Students from backgrounds under-represented in the health sciences visited the campus and engaged with practitioners through hands-on simulations, personal connections, and curated resources in preparation for medical career paths.
Radiology-based educational activities for students included:
- Using ultrasound to locate objects embedded in a gelatin phantom
- Identifying various bones on a composite whole body radiograph
- Identifying animals based on radiographic images
- Identifying fruits based on MR images
- Performing a simulated pulmonary embolectomy on a phantom
Department Lectures and Events
Invited Grand Rounds Speakers
Grand Rounds has hosted some outstanding speakers, and will continue to offer DEI centric topics in the coming year. A few of the topics recently covered in Grand Rounds:
- For We Wrestle Not Against Flesh and Blood: The Intersection of Racism, History, and Medicine - Erica E. Marsh MD, MSCI, FACOG
- Rethinking Failure: Core Lessons for DEI Efforts in Radiology - Matthew Bucknor, MD, UCSF
- Unconscious Bias in the Radiology Department: Recognition and Mitigation - Jessica B. Robbins, MD, FAUR
The Office of Faculty Affairs and Faculty Development offers workshops throughout the year on a variety of topics. The department encourages all who can, to take advantage of this education and training. Due to most workshops being held online, staff are able to join as well.
Some of the topics covered with a DEI centric theme are as follows:
- What is Health Equity and Why Should We Care?
- Facilitating Conversations for an Anti-Racist Workplace
- Systemic Racism: A Public Health Crisis
- Strategies and Tactics for Recruiting to Improve Diversity and Excellence (STRIDE) Workshop
Michigan Medicine at Specialty Speed Dating (formerly SiMfest)
As the chair of the department’s DEI Committee, Dr. Aparna Joshi, coordinates department-level DEI activities and advocates for equitable and inclusive practices in the Department of Radiology. The department's DEI committee is comprised of over 30 faculty, staff and learners focused on increasing visibility of DEI topics. The committee also works to increase education and provide opportunities for all members of our department to engage with DEI issues.