Gaurang Shah, MD FACR is a Professor of Radiology and serves as the Director of Clinical Functional MRI and Director of Medical Student Education in Neuroradiology at the University of Michigan. He received his medical degree and completed his diagnostic radiology residency at NHLM Medical College and Sheth KM School of PG Medicine at Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, India. He completed fellowships in Cross sectional Imaging and Vascular Radiology at Jaslok Hospital and PD Hinduja National Hospital in Mumbai, India. He also completed his fellowship in Neuroradiology at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and joined as the faculty at the University of Michigan in 2001.
He has received numerous awards and honors. He is an elected fellow of the American College of Radiology, and the Indian College of Radiology. He has received the Asoke Mukherjee Gold Medal of the Indian Radiology and Imaging Association and NG Gadekar Award of the Indian College of Radiology and Imaging. He serves many roles in organized radiology, including President of the Michigan Radiology Society. He is also committee members in various radiology organizations, including American College of Radiology, American Roentgen Ray Society, Radiology Society of North America, American Society of Neuroradiology, American Society of Head and Neck Radiology, American Society of Functional Neuroradiology and American Society of Spine Radiology.
Dr. Shah collaborates with medical students, residents and fellows to develop their academic careers, and has received the Teacher of the Year Award from the radiology residents at the University of Michigan. He is frequently an invited guest speaker at academic institutions and national/international meetings.
Areas of Interest
Dr. Shah’s clinical and research interests focuses on functional MRI and advanced MRI applications in neuroradiology. He is also conducting clinical trials on MR contrast media and in Alzheimer’s disease, including contrast quality and safety and efficacy trials for new drugs for Alzheimer’s disease.
Functional MRI, Alzeimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease
Medical School or Training
- Smt NHLM Medical College, Gujarat University, India, 1983
- Sheth KM School of PG Medicine, Gujarat University, India, Radiology, 1987
- CT Scan, Jaslok Hospital & Research Center, Mumbai, India, 1988
- Cross-Sectional Imaging, P. D. Hinduja National Hospital & Research Center, Mumbai, India, 1989
- Neuroradiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 1999-2001
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Fellow, American College of Radiology (ACR)
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
- American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS)
- American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR)
- American Society of Spine Radiology (ASSR)
- European Society of Radiology (ESR)
- Indian Radiological and Imaging Association (IRIA)
- Indian College of Radiology and Imaging (ICR)
- International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM)
- Indian Society of Neuroradiology (ISNR)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- American Society of Functional Neuroradiology (ASFNR)
- American Society of Head and Neck Radiology (ASHNR)
- Western Neuroradiological Society (WNRS)