Kelley Forbes 734-647-9955
Dan Spratt, MD, is a leader in Prostate and Spine malignancies. In addition to his medical training at Vanderbilt University where he obtained his medical degree, he completed his Radiation Oncology Residency at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. In the Department of Radiation Oncology, Dr. Spratt is the Chief of the Genitourinary Radiotherapy Program, Associate Chair of Clinical Research, and the Laurie Snow Endowed Research Professor. In the Rogel Cancer Center he is the co-Chair of the Genitourinary Clinical Research Team and co-Director of the Spine Oncology Program. He holds leadership positons in the NIH U-10 LAPS cooperative group trial efforts and Prostate Cancer SPORE, and is the co-Chair for Prostate Cancer Foundations Health Disparities Working Group. He is the head of the Intact Prostate Cancer Subcommittee within the NRG Genitourinary Core Committee for national clinical trials, and a committee member for the NCCN Prostate Cancer national guidelines.
Dr. Spratt has received funding from the National Institutes of Health, Department of Defense, and multiple other funding bodies and foundations for his research. He has published over 250 papers primarily on the topics of prostate cancer and prognostic and predictive biomarkers. He has developed widely used clinical and clinicogenomic models for prostate cancer, multiple of which are cited in the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines. He is the PI of >10 prostate cancer clinical trials, including the multinational randomized phase II BALANCE trial (NRG GU006), North-American PI of the STAMPEDE Arm M phase III trial, national PI of the ASCLEPIUS multicenter phase I/II trial, multi-center PI for G-MAJOR randomized phase III trial, and multiple institutional trials. His laboratory focuses on the interaction of androgen signaling and DNA repair in prostate cancer and methods to overcome radiation resistance.
Areas of Interest
- Translational and clinical research to identify novel biomarkers to individualize treatment for patients with cancer.
- Use of both tissue based (i.e. –omic sequencing) approaches, and non-invasive approaches with functional and molecular imaging and blood based biomarkers to personalize therapy and monitor treatment resistance.
- Genitourinary cancers (prostate, bladder, kidney, renal, urinary tract, and penile).
- Central nervous system tumors of the brain and spine in both children and adults.
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for the treatment of prostate cancer and for tumors that have metastasized to the spine.
Honors & Awards
2019-2021 Cancer Clinical Investigator Team Leadership Award (CCITLA) NIH Award
2020 Outstanding Clinical Research Award, Rogel Cancer Center
2019 GME Teacher/Mentor of the Year Award
2018 ASTRO’s Steve Liebel Award
2018 Dean's Award for Clinical Research
2017 Annual Clinical Faculty Teacher of the Year Award
2016 ARRO Teacher of the Year Award
2016 Department of Defense Award- Prostate Cancer Research Program (2016-2019)
2014 ASTRO's 56th Annual Basic Science Abstract Award in the Biology
2014-2015 RSNA Research Roentgen Award for Outstanding Research
2013 European Urology's Award for Best Resident Publication
2012 World Congress of Brachytherapy- Travel Award - International
2010 AΩA (Alpha Omega Alpha) Honor Society Recipient
2009 Best of ASTRO Oral Presentation; A Novel Targeting Receptor for Radiation Assisted Drug Delivery
2009 StarBRITE (The Biomedical Research, Integration, Translation and Education portal), Microgrant recipient, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
2009 Winner of Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center poster competition, 2009
2006 Summa Cum Laude
- MD, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Board certification: Radiation Oncology
- A Multi-Center Trial of Androgen Suppression with Abiraterone Acetate, Leuprolide, PARP Inhibition and Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy in Prostate Cancer (ASCLEPIuS) Janssen, Daniel Spratt, PI. 05/2020-05/2025. $2,100,000 ($400,000)
- NRG Oncology Clinical Trial Fixed Price Subaward SubK-NIH-DHHS-US through a consortium with NRG Oncology-20-PAF02125. Daniel Spratt, PI. 08/2019-02/2025. $120,000 ($30,186)
- Large-scale discovery and validation of predictive biomarkers for immunotherapy across cancers and treatments V Fdn for Cancer Research, The- 19-PAF07579. Co-I without Effort (Principal Investigator: Marcin Piotr Cieslik). 08/2019-08/2022. $600,000 ($182,000)
- 5 R01 CA240991-05: Determining the clinical impact of gene expression testing in localized prostate cancer NIHDHHS-US- 19-PAF00899. Daniel Spratt (multi-PI Todd Morgan), Co-PI. 07/2019-06/2024. $3,747,856 ($498,000)
- P50CA186786: Quality of life and circulating tumor monitoring for men receiving neoadjuvant SBRT prior to prostatectomy for high risk prostate cancer Prostate SPORE-Subaward. Daniel Spratt, PI. 10/2018-10/2020. $120,000 ($60,000)
- Non-invasive interrogation of oligometastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer and the benefit of metastasis directed therapy in the Phase II FORCE randomized clinical trial Prostate Cancer Foundation- Principal Investigator: Zachery Reichert (Mentor- Daniel Spratt). 08/2018-08/2021. $225,000 ($75,000)
- 5 P30 CA046592-31: Access to Experimental Therapeutics Clinical Trials Network (ETCTN) Agents at Univ of Michigan Site NIH-DHHS-US- 17-PAF05471; 19-PAF03268; 20-PAF01501. Co-I with Effort (Principal Investigator: Eric R Fearon). 07/2018-05/2023. $34,711,738
- 3 P30 CA046592-30S3: NIH Cancer Clinical Investigator Team Leadership Award (FY) 2019 NIH-DHHS-US- 17-PAF05471; 20-PAF01501; 19-PAF03268. Daniel Spratt, PI.07/2018-05/2023. $125,000 ($25,000)
- Randomized Phase II Study of Salvage XRT + ADT +/- Abiraterone Acetate and Apalutamide (ARN-509) for Rising PSA after Radical Prostatectomy with Adverse Features. Facilitating Optimal Radiation Management Using Leuprolide, Abiraterone Acetate, and Apalutamide (FORMULA-509 Trial) Janssen Scientific through a consortium with Dana-Farber Cancer Institute- 18-PAF05501. Daniel Spratt, PI. 04/2018-09/2026. $163,798 ($22,663)
- A PHASE I TRIAL OF NEOADJUVANT STEREOTACTIC BODY RADIOTHERAPY PRIOR TO RADICAL PROSTATECTOMY FOR HIGH RISK PROSTATE CANCER Clinical Translational Resource Allocation Committee (CTRAC)- UMCC 2016.106 (HUM00120414). Daniel Spratt, PI. 12/2016-12/2020. $150,000 ($150,000)
- 17-PAF05887: ARN-509+Abiraterone acetate+Leuprolide with Stereotactic, Ultra-Hypofractionated Radiation (AASUR) in Very High Risk Prostate Cancer: A Single Arm, Phase II Study Janssen Scientific through the Prostate Cancer Clinical Trial Consortium- 16-PAF07711. Daniel Spratt, Site PI. 11/2016-10/2022. $112,237 ($20,206)
Selected from 260 publications
Spratt DE, Evans MJ, Davis BJ, Doran MG, Lee MX, Shah N, Wongvipat J, Carnazza KE, Klee GG, Polkinghorn W, Tindall DJ, Lewis JS, Sawyers CL. Androgen receptor upregulation mediates radioresistance after ionizing radiation. Cancer Research, 75(22):4688-96, 2015. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-15-0892.
- Spratt DE, Chan T, Waldron L, Speers C, Feng FY, Ogunwobi OO, Osborne JR. Racial/Ethnic Disparities in genomic sequencing. JAMA Oncol, 2(8):1070-4,2016. doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.1854. PMID: 27366979
- Spratt DE, Osborne JR. Disparities in castration-resistant prostate cancer trials. J Clin Oncol, Apr 1;33(10):1101-3,2015. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2014.58.1751. PMID: 25691679
- Spratt DE, Yousefi K, Deheshi S, Ross AE, Den RB, Schaeffer EM, Trock BJ, Zhang J, Glass AG, Dicker AP, Abdollah F, Zhao SG, Lam LL, du Plessis M, Choeurng V, Haddad Z, Buerki C, Davicioni E, Weinmann S, Freedland SJ, Klein EA, Karnes RJ, Feng FY: Individual Patient-Level Meta-Analysis of the Performance of the Decipher Genomic Classifier in High-Risk Men After Prostatectomy to Predict Development of Metastatic Disease. J Clin Oncol 35(18): 1991-98, 2017. PM28358655/PMC6530581
- Spratt DE, Beeler WH, de Moraes FY, Rhines LD, Gemmete JJ, Chaudhary N, Shultz DB, Smith SR, Berlin A, Dahele M, Slotman BJ, Younge KC, Bilsky M, Park P, Szerlip NJ: An integrated multidisciplinary algorithm for the management of spinal metastases: An International Spine Oncology Consortium report. Lancet Oncol 18(12): e720-e730, 2017. PM29208438
- Spratt DE, Zhang J, Santiago-Jiménez M, Dess RT, Davis JW, Den RB, Dicker AP, Kane CJ, Pollack A, Stoyanova R, Abdollah F, Ross AE, Cole A, Uchio E, Randall JM, Nguyen H, Zhao SG, Mehra R, Glass AG, Lam LLC, Chelliserry J, du Plessis M, Choeurng V, Aranes M, Kolisnik T, Margrave J, Alter J, Jordan J, Buerki C, Yousefi K, Haddad Z, Davicioni E, Trabulsi EJ, Loeb S, Tewari A, Carroll PR, Weinmann S, Schaeffer EM, Klein EA, Karnes RJ, Feng FY, Nguyen PL: Development and Validation of a Novel Integrated Clinical-Genomic Risk Group Classification for Localized Prostate Cancer. J Clin Oncol 36(6): 581-590, 2018. PM29185869
- Soni PD, Hartman HE, Dess RT, Abugharib A, Allen SG, Feng FY, Zietman AL, Jagsi R, Schipper MJ, Spratt DE: Comparison of Population-Based Observational Studies With Randomized Trials in Oncology. J Clin Oncol 37(14): 1209-16, 2019. PM30897037/PMC7186578
- Spratt DE, Carroll PR: Optimal Radical Therapy for Localized Prostate Cancer: Recreation of the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy With Combination Brachytherapy? J Clin Oncol 36(29): 2914-17, 2018. PM29782208
- Dess RT, Hartman HE, Mahal BA, Soni PD, Jackson WC, Cooperberg MR, Amling CL, Aronson WJ, Kane CJ, Terris MK, Zumsteg ZS, Butler S, Osborne JR, Morgan TM, Mehra R, Salami SS, Kishan AU, Wang C, Schaeffer EM, Roach M 3rd, Pisansky TM, Shipley WU, Freedland SJ, Sandler HM, Halabi S, Feng FY, Dignam JJ, Nguyen PL, Schipper MJ, Spratt DE: Association of Black Race With Prostate Cancer-Specific and Other-Cause Mortality. JAMA Oncol 5(7): 975-83, 2019. PM31120534/PMC6547116
- Spratt DE, Alshalalfa M, Fishbane N, Weiner AB, Mehra R, Mahal BA, Lehrer J, Liu Y, Zhao SG, Speers C, Morgan TM, Dicker AP, Freedland SJ, Karnes RJ, Weinmann S, Davicioni E, Ross AE, Den RB, Nguyen PL, Feng FY, Lotan TL, Chinnaiyan AM, Schaeffer EM: Transcriptomic heterogeneity of androgen receptor (AR) activity defines a de novo low AR-active subclass in treatment naïve primary prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res 25(22): 6721-30, 2019. PM31515456/PMC6858964
- Dess RT, Sun Y, Jackson WC, Jairath NK, Kishan AU, Wallington DG, Mahal BA, Stish BJ, Zumsteg ZS, Den RB, Hall WA, Gharzai LA, Jaworski EM, Reichert ZR, Morgan TM, Mehra R, Schaeffer EM, Sartor O, Nguyen PL, Lee WR, Rosenthal SA, Michalski JM, Schipper MJ, Dignam JJ, Pisansky TM, Zietman AL, Sandler HM, Efstathiou JA, Feng FY, Shipley WU, Spratt DE: Association of Presalvage Radiotherapy PSA Levels After Prostatectomy With Outcomes of Long-term Antiandrogen Therapy in Men With Prostate Cancer. JAMA Oncol 6(5): 1-9, 2020. PM32215583/PMC7189892
- Jackson WC, Hartman HE, Dess RT, Birer SR, Soni PD, Hearn JWD, Reichert ZR, Kishan AU, Mahal BA, Zumsteg ZS, Efstathiou JA, Kaffenberger S, Morgan TM, Mehra R, Showalter TN, Krauss DA, Nguyen PL, Schipper MJ, Feng FY, Sandler HM, Hoskin PJ, Roach M 3rd, Spratt DE: Addition of Androgen-Deprivation Therapy or Brachytherapy Boost to External Beam Radiotherapy for Localized Prostate Cancer: A Network Meta-Analysis of Randomized Trials. J Clin Oncol epub: JCO1903217, 2020. PM32396488