Dr. Jean Moran is a Professor and Co-Director of Physics at the University of Michigan in the Department of Radiation Oncology. She directs the clinic physics effort in the department and is part of the Community Practice Management Team. Her research focuses on patient safety, integration of technology advancements for appropriate patients, applications of big data for patient care, and improvements in breast cancer therapy. She has expertise in dosimetry and application of automation for improvements in clinical care. She is also actively working on the application of formal risk analysis techniques to guide quality assurance efforts in medical physics.
Dr. Moran is Co-Director of the Michigan Radiation Oncology Quality Consortium (MROQC) which consists of 25 centers throughout Michigan. She leads research on automated quality assurance techniques for linear accelerators in an international consortium. She is a Fellow of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) and has authored guidance documents related to quality assurance for both the AAPM and the American Society of Radiation Oncology (ASTRO).
Dr. Moran actively serves in the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) and the American Society for Radiation Therapy (ASTRO). She serves as Chair of the AAPM Therapy Physics Committee and Chair of the Work Group on the Radiation Oncology – Incident Learning System (RO-ILS). She has been a regular contributor to meetings of AAPM and ASTRO in numerous ways. Dr. Moran is an active mentor and sponsor of trainees, junior, and mid-career faculty.
Areas of Interest
- Deliverability and accuracy of advanced technology treatment planning, delivery and imaging techniques
- Assessment of the clinical impact of advanced technologies for breast cancer and other diseases
- Creation and application of new dosimetry devices and materials for research and quality assurance in Radiation Therapy
- The safe use and implementation of radiation therapy
Honors & Awards
2012 Fellow, American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
2008 AAPM-IPEM Travel Grant
2004 PTW Award of Excellence for the Best Radiation Measurements Article for "Surface buildup dose dependence on photon field delivery technique for IMRT." Yokoyama, SK, Roberson, PL, Litzenberg, DW, Moran, JM, and Fraass, BA. Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics 5: 71-81, 2004.
2002 AAPM Travel Grant
1997 Rackham Dissertation Writing Fellowship Award
1995 Siemens-Norman Horwitz Award for Best Student Paper at the Great Lakes Chapter-AAPM Spring Symposium for Prediction of Penumbra for MLC-Shaped Electron Beams
- PhD, University of Michigan, 1999
- BS/MS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1992
- Board Certification, American Board of Medical Physics – Radiation Oncology
- Board Certification, American Board of Radiology – Therapeutic Medical Physics
- Automated Quality Assurance, Analysis Tools, and Evaluation of Performance - Extension to Developer Mode Varian Medical Systems, PI
- 5 P01 CA059827-20 (PIs: Lawrence/TenHaken), 05/15/2014-04/30/2019, National Institutes of Health: Optimization of High Dose Conformal Therapy, Role: Core Director – Quality Assurance
- (PI: Pierce), Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan: The Michigan Radiation Oncology Quality Consortium , Role: Co-Director
Selected from 75 publications
- Moran JM, Feng M, Benedetti LA, Marsh R, Griffith KA, Matuszak MM, Hess M, McMullen M, Fisher JH, Nurushev T, Grubb M, Gardner S, Nielsen D, Jagsi R, Hayman JA, Pierce LJ, Michigan Radiation Oncology Quality Consortium: Development of a model web-based system to support a statewide quality consortium in radiation oncology. Pract Radiat Oncol 7: e205-e213, 2017. PM28196607
- Younge KC, Naheedy KW, Wilkinson J, Dekmak J, Covington E, Durbin B, Nelson E, Filpansick S, Moran JM: Improving patient safety and workflow efficiency with standardized pretreatment radiation therapist chart reviews. Pract Radiat Oncol 5: 339-345, 2017
- Smith BD, Bellon JR, Blitzblau R, Freedman G, Haffty B, Hahn C, Halberg F, Hoffman K, Horst K, Moran J, Patton C, Perlmutter J, Warren L, Whelan T, Wright JL, Jagsi R: Radiation therapy for the whole breast: Executive summary of an American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) evidence-based guideline. Pract Radiat Oncol 8: 145-152, 2018. PM29545124
- Covington EL, Chen X, Younge KC, Lee C, Matuszak MM, Kessler ML, Keranen W, Acosta E, Dougherty AM, Filpansick SE, Moran JM. Improving treatment plan evaluation with automation. J Appl Clin Med Phys, 17(6): 6322, 2016. PM27929478
- Eckhause T, Al-Hallaq H, Ritter T, DeMarco J, Farrey K, Pawlicki T, Kim GY, Popple R, Sharma V, Perez M, Park S, Booth JT, Thorwarth R, Moran JM. Automating linear accelerator quality assurance. Med Phys, 42(10): 6074-6083, 2015. PM26429282
- Moran JM, Dempsey M, Eisbruch A, Fraass BA, Galvin JM, Ibbott GS, Marks LB. Safety considerations for IMRT: Executive summary. Med Phys, 38(9): 5067-72, 2011. PM21978051