Dr. Prisciandaro received her PhD in Chemical Physics at Michigan State University in 2001. Following graduation, she worked as a Research Fellow in the department of Radiation Oncology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. In October of 2004, Dr. Prisciandaro joined the clinical faculty at the University of Michigan. She obtained her certification in Therapeutic Radiologic Physics in 2006 through the American Board of Radiology (ABR). Her main clinical focus is brachytherapy, and she directs our brachytherapy physics program. Dr. Prisciandaro also has a strong interest in education. She has taught medical physics in our department to radiation therapy technology students, radiation oncology residents, and clinical physics residents, and served as the associate director and director of the department’s medical physics residency program from 2006 - 2019. She is also an instructor for Nuclear Engineering 581, Radiation Therapy Physics. She is a member of the Department of Radiation Oncology’s Medical Physics Residency Committee, the Clinical Competency Committee, and the Variance Committee. At an institutional level, Dr. Prisciandaro serves on the University of Michigan's Radiation Policy Committee, the University of Michigan Health Systems Clinical Radiation Safety Committee, and the Advisory Committee on Clinical Track Appointments and Promotions.
Professionally, Dr. Prisciandaro is active in a number of American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) committees and subcommittees related to education and professionalism. She serves as the Chair of Education Council, and vice chair of Task Group 303 on MRI guidance in HDR brachytherapy. She served as a board member for the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Educational Programs (CAMPEP) from 2013 - 2018.
Areas of Interest
- Image guided brachytherapy
- Volume based planning for gynecological brachytherapy
- Developing high dose rate brachytherapy (HDR) clinical protocols
Brachytherapy - High dose rate, intravascular, and Y-90 microspheres
- Designed and developed the HDR program at the main campus of University of Michigan hospital (GammaMed iX and BrachyVision).
- Developed procedures and documentation for planning and delivery of intracavitary, intraluminal, surface, and interstitial implants (prostate and gynecological).
- Treatment planning (BrachyVision), plan checks, daily, monthly, annual quality assurance and new source acceptance and assay.
In collaboration with HDR brachytherapy team, developing clinical protocols and documentation for MR-guided brachytherapy.
- Designed and developed documentation and radiation safety procedures for the clinical implementation of the HDR, intravascular, and Theraspheres protocol.
- Treatment planning, assays, and radiation safety.
- Monitors quarterly departmental badge reports/readings.
- Departmental liaison with Radiation Safety.
- Maintains and updates departmental radiation usage license and registration.
- Prepares NRC-313A(amp) and NRC-313A(aus) documentation for residents and staff.
- Performed HDR suite shielding design and final survey.
- Performs 2D, 3D, IMRT, SBRT, and VMAT plan checks, weekly chart checks, and chart rounds.
- Primary responder for treatment machine calls.
Honors & Awards
- Department of Radiation Oncology Physics Teacher of the Year Award, 2015
- Fellow of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine, 2014
- The League of Educational Excellence, 2013
- Diplomate of the American Board of Radiology, Therapeutic Radiologic Physics, 2006.
- PhD, Michigan State University, Chemical Physics, 2001.
Selected from 43 publications
- P. Hawkins, M. Tang, K. Vineberg, L. Young, K. Kovach, C. Lee, K. Maturen, S. Uppal, D. Owen, M. Schipper, J. Prisciandaro, S. Jolly: Dosimetric Impact of Interfractional Organs at Risk Variation during High-dose Rate Interstitial Brachytherapy for Gynecologic Malignancies Medical Dosimetry 44(3): 239-244, 2019.
- Moyed Miften, Dimitris Mihailidis, Stephen Kry, Chester Reft, Carlos Esquivel, Jonathan Farr, David Followill, Coen Hurkmans, Arthur Liu, Olivier Gayou, Michael Gossman, Mahadevappa Mahesh, Richard Popple, Joann Prisciandaro, and Jeffrey Wilkinson: Management of Radiotherapy Patients with Implanted Cardiac Pacemakers and Defibrillators: A Report of the AAPM TG-203 Medical Physics 46(12): e757-e788, 2019.
- J.A. Seibert, A.P. Blatnica, J.B. Clements, P.H. Halvorsen, M.G. Herman, J.L. Johnson, B.A. Schueler, M. C. Martin, J.R. Palta, D.E. Pfeiffer, R.J. Pizzutiello, J.I. Prisciandaro, and G.W. Sherouse: AAPM medical physics practice guideline 7.a: Supervision of medical physicist assistants Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics 21(7): 11-15, 2019.
- J.I. Prisciandaro, X. Zhao, S. Dieterich, Y. Hasan, S. Jolly, and H. Al-Hallaq: Interstitial High Dose Rate Gynecological Brachytherapy: Clinical Workflow Experience from Three Academic Institutions Seminars in Radiation Oncology 30(1): 29-38, 2020.
- S.J. Simiele, X. Chen, C. Lee, B.S. Rosen, J.K. Mikell, J.M. Moran, and J.I. Prisciandaro: Development and Comprehensive Commissioning of an Automated Brachytherapy Plan Checker Brachytherapy 19(3): 355-361, 2020