Dr. Prisciandaro received her PhD in Chemical Physics at Michigan State University in 2001. Following graduation, she worked as a Research Fellow in the department of Radiation Oncology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. In October of 2004, Dr. Prisciandaro joined the clinical faculty at the University of Michigan. She obtained her certification in Therapeutic Radiologic Physics in 2006 through the American Board of Radiology (ABR). Her main clinical focus is brachytherapy, and she heads our brachytherapy program. Dr. Prisciandaro also has a strong interest in education. At present, she teaches medical physics in our department to radiation therapy technology students, radiation oncology residents, and clinical physics residents, and is the director of the department’s medical physics residency program. She is also an instructor for Nuclear Engineering 581, Radiation Therapy Physics. She is a member of the Department of Radiation Oncology Variance Committee, the University of Michigan's Radiation Policy Committee, and the University of Michigan Health Systems Clinical Radiation Safety Committee.
Professionally, Dr. Prisciandaro is active in a number of American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) committees and subcommittees related to education and professionalism. She serves as the Chair of the Education and Training of Medical Physicists Committee, and she is a member of Education Council. She is also a board member for the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Educational Programs (CAMPEP).
Areas of Interest
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) guided brachytherapy
- Developing high dose rate brachytherapy (HDR) clinical protocols
- High dose rate
- Y-90 microspheres
- Radiation safety
- External beam
- Designed and developed the HDR program at the main campus of University of Michigan hospital (GammaMed iX and BrachyVision).
- Developed procedures and documentation for planning and delivery of intracavitary, intraluminal, surface, and interstitial implants (prostate and gynecological).
- Treatment planning (BrachyVision), plan checks, daily, monthly, annual quality assurance and new source acceptance and assay.
- In collaboration with HDR brachytherapy team, developing clinical protocols and documentation for MR-guided brachytherapy.
- Designed and developed documentation and radiation safety procedures for the clinical implementation of the Theraspheres protocol.
- Treatment planning, sphere assay and radiation safety.
- Monitors quarterly departmental badge reports/readings.
- Departmental liaison with Radiation Safety.
- Maintains and updates departmental radiation usage license and registration.
- Prepares NRC-313A(amp) and NRC-313A(aus) documentation for residents and staff.
- Performed HDR suite shielding design and final survey.
- Performs 2D, 3D, IMRT, SBRT, and VMAT plan checks, weekly chart checks, and chart rounds.
- Primary responder for treatment machine calls.
Honors & Awards
- Department of Radiation Oncology Physics Teacher of the Year Award, 2015
- The League of Educational Excellence, 2013
- PhD, Michigan State University, Chemical Physics, 2001.
Selected from 34 publications
- Covington EL, Ritter TA, Moran JM, Owrangi AM, Prisciandaro JI. Evaluation of peripheral dose for flattening filter free photon beams. Med Phys, 43(8): 4789-4796, 2016.
- Chapman CH, Prisciandaro JI, Maturen KE, Cao Y, Balter J, McLean K. MRI-Based evaluation of the vaginal cuff in brachytherapy planning: Are we missing the target? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 95(2): 743-750, 2016.
- Younge K, Lee CI, Moran JM, Feng M, Novelli P, Prisciandaro JI. Failure mode and effects analysis in a dual-vendor microsphere brachytherapy environment practical radiation oncology 6(6): e299-e306, 2016.
- Owrangi AM, Roberts DA, Covington EL, Hayman JA, Masi KM, Lee CI, Moran JM, Prisciandaro JI. Revisiting fetal dose during radiation therapy: Evaluating treatment techniques and a custom shield. J Applied Clinical Medical Physics, 17(5): 34-46, 2016
- Prisciandaro JI, Hadley SW, Jolly,S, LeeC, Roberson PL, Roberts DA, Ritter TA. Development of a brachytherapy audit checklist tool. Brachytherapy, 14(6): 963 - 969, 2015.