Dr. Kessler has over 25 years of experience in developing software techniques for image and information processing related to treatment planning and delivery for patients undergoing radiation therapy. Dr. Kessler obtained his PhD in Biophysics at the University of California, Berkeley where he did research as part of the Heavy Ion Radiotherapy Project. During this time, Dr. Kessler developed techniques to incorporate multimodality image data in the treatment planning process and tools for quantitative evaluation of treatment plans. After graduating in 1989, Dr. Kessler joined the faculty at the University of Michigan in the Department of Radiation Oncology. In 2011, Dr Kessler was named the Allen S Lichter MD Professor of Radiation Oncology.
Areas of Interest
- Medical Image processing
- Optimization of treatment plans
- Decision support
- Informatics for decision support in Radiation Oncology
Honors & Awards
- 2014 Fellow of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine
- 2011 Allen S Lichter, MD Professor of Radiation Oncology
- PhD, Biophysics, University of California, Berkeley, 1989
- BS, Physics with Honors, University of Florida, 1981
- 2-P01-CA-59827, (PIs: Lawrence/TenHaken), 05/15/14-04/30/19,NIH: Optimization of High Dose Conformal Therapy, Role: Director, Core C.
- N020786, (PI: Kessler)10/15/2015-03/14/2017, Varian Co-Development: Design, Implementation, and Testing of Adaptive Workflow Tools, Role: Co-Principal Investigator.
Selected from 67 publications
- Mayo C, Kessler, ML, Eisbruch, A, et al. The Big Data Effort in Radiation Oncology: data mining or data farming? Advances in Radiation Oncology. 1(4):260–271, 2016.
- Hadley SW, Kessler ML, Litzenberg DW, et. al., SafetyvNet: Streamlining and automating QA in radiotherapy. J Appl Clin Med Phys. 17(1):5920, 2016.
- Covington EL, Chen XC, Younge KC, Lee C, Matuszak MM, Kessler ML, Keranen W, Acosta E, Dougherty AM, Filpansick SE, Moran JM, Improving treatment plan evaluation with automation. J Appl Clin Med Phys. 17(6):6322, 2016.
- Kessler ML, McShan DL, Eppelman MA, et al. Costlets: A generalized approach to cost functions for automated optimization of IMRT plans, Optimization and Engineering. 6:421-448, 2005.
- Kessler ML, McShan DL, Fraass BA. A computer-controlled conformal radiotherapy system. III:Graphical simulation and monitoring of treatment delivery. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 33(5):1173-80, 1995.
- Kessler ML, Pitluck S, Petti P, Castro JR. Integration of multimodality imaging data for radiotherapy treatment planning. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 21(6):1653-67, 1991.