Dr. Matuszak is the Director of Advanced Treatment Planning and supervises the research dosimetry section in the Department of Radiation Oncology. She aids in the design, implementation, and analysis of advanced adaptive therapy protocols and works extensively on in-house and national clinical trials. Dr. Matuszak has a joint appointment in the Department of Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences and has active collaborations on advanced techniques for radiotherapy plan optimization within the Industrial and Operations Engineering Department. Dr. Matuszak also has current grant funding in the area of knowledge based treatment planning.
Areas of Interest
- Advanced treatment planning techniques.
- Adaptive radiation therapy.
- Functional avoidance treatment planning.
- Knowledge-based treatment planning.
- Treatment planning.
- Quality improvement.
- Electronic charting.
Honors & Awards
Medical Physics Teacher of the Year
- PhD, Nuclear Engineering & Radiologicial Sciences, University of Michigan, 2007
- MSE, Nuclear Engineering & Radiologicial Sciences, University of Michigan, 2003
- BSE, Nuclear Engineering & Radiologicial Sciences, University of Michigan, 2002
- Certification: American Board of Radiology
- Varian Medical Systems: Knowledge Based Planning: Sharing and Automation, Role:
- P01 CA59827, (PIs: Lawrence/Ten Haken), 5/15/2014-4/30/2019, NIH: Optimization of High Dose Conformal Therapy, Role:Co-Investigator.
Published Articles or Reviews
Selected from 26 publications
- Matuszak MM, Matrosic C, Jarema D, McShan DL, Stenmark MH, Owen D, Jolly S, Kong F, Ten Haken RK. Priority-driven plan optimization in locally advanced lung patients based on perfusion SPECT imaging. Advances in Radiation Oncology, Oct-Dec Vol 1 Issue 4: 281-289,2016
- Al-Hallaq HA, Chmura SJ, Salama JK, Lowenstein JR, McNulty S, Galvin JM, Followill DS, Robinson CG, Pisansky TM, Winter KA, White JR, Xiao Y, Matuszak MM. Benchmark credentialing Results for NRG-BR001: The first National Cancer Institute-sponsored trial of stereotactic body radiation therapy for multiple metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, Jan 1;97(1):155-163, 2017.
- Wu VW, Epelman MA, Wang H, Edwin Romeijn H, Feng M, Cao Y, Ten Haken RK, Matuszak MM. Optimizing global liver function in radiation therapy treatment planning. Phys Med Biol, Sep 7;61(17):6465-84, 2016.
- Matuszak MM, Hadley SW, Feng M, Hayman JA, Brock KK, Burger P, Owen D, SureshK, Schipper M, Lawrence TS, Moran JM. Enhancing safety and quality through preplanning peer review for patients undergoing stereotactic body radiation therapy. Pract Radiat Oncol, Mar-Apr;6(2):e39-46, 2016.