Dr. Morgan leads a laboratory focused on improving standard radiation and chemoradiation therapies through the use of novel agents targeting DNA damage response and repair. Her research program prioritizes pre-clinical research with strong clinical/translational relevance with an emphasis on pancreatic cancer. More specific areas of research interest include DNA double-strand break repair, DNA replication, cell cycle and biomarker development.
Areas of Interest
- DNA damage and repair
- DNA replication stress
- Novel molecularly targeted therapeutics
- Pancreatic cancer
Honors & Awards
PhD, West Virginia University, 2002
- R01 (CA163895), 09/01/2012-06/30/18, National Institutes of Health: Selective sensitization of pancreatic cancer to therapy by Chk1 and PARP1 inhibition, Role: Principal Investigator.
- P50 (CA130810), 09/01/2010-08/31/17, National Institutes of Health: Mechanism-Based use of Chk1 inhibitors in pancreas cancer, Role: Co-Investigator.
- University of Michigan Fund for Discovery, 2/1/17-1/31/18: Therapeutic targeting of DNA repair for FBXW7 mutant colorectal cancers, Role: Principal Investigator.
- U01 (CA216449), 04/01/2017-03/31/2022, National Institutes of Health: Sensitization to chemoradiation by therapeutic targeting of the DNA damage response, Role: Co-Investigator.
Selected from 48 publications
- Zhang Q, Lawrence T, Morgan MA*, Sun Y*. FBXW7 facilitates non-homologous end-joining via K63-linked polyubiquitylation of XRCC4. Molecular Cell, 61:419-33, 2016.(*Equal contribution)
- Parsels L, Tanska D, Parsels J, Zabludoff S, Cuneo K, Lawrence T, Maybaum J*, Morgan M*. Dissociation of gemcitabine chemosensitization by CHK1 inhibition from G2 checkpoint abrogation. Cell Cycle, 15:730-9, 2016.
- Kausar T, Schreiber J, Karnak D, Parsels LA, Parsels JD, Davis MA, Zhao L, Maybaum J, Lawrence TS, and Morgan MA. Sensitization of pancreatic cancers to gemcitabine-chemoradiation by WEE1 kinase inhibition depends on homologous recombination repair. Neoplasia, 17:757-66, 2015.
- Zhang Q, Zhang Y, Parsels JD, Lohse I, Lawrence TS, Pasca di Magliano M, Sun Y, Morgan MA. Fbxw7 deletion accelerates KrasG12D –driven tumorigenesis via Yap accumulation. Neoplasia 11:666-73, 2016.
- Morgan MA, Lawrence TS. Molecular Pathways: Overcoming radiation resistance by targeting the DNA response pathways. Clin Cancer Res, 21:2898-2904, 2015.
- Karnak D, Engelke CG, Parsels LA, Kausar T, Wei D, Roberson JR, Marsh KB, Davis MA, Maybaum J, Lawrence TS, and Morgan MA. Combined inhibition of Wee1 and PARP1/2 for radiosensitization in pancreatic cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 20:5085-96, 2014.
- Morgan MA, Parsels LA, Maybaum J, and Lawrence TS: Improving the efficacy of chemoradiation with targeted agents. Cancer Discovery, 4:1-12, 2014.