Samantha Harbarcuk 734-647-3142
As Co-Chair of the Cancer Center Neuro-Oncology Clinical Research Team and Principal Investigator of multiple clinical trials, Dr. Kim is a leader in brain tumor clinical research and involved with efforts institutionally, regionally and nationally. Her primary focus is on the use of advanced imaging modalities as a biomarker to understand the biologic basis of tumor response and treatment resistance to radiation therapy, in order to individually adapt radiation treatment and improve outcome in patients with malignant gliomas. She is also interested in the evaluation of advanced imaging techniques to predict long-term toxicity and response in patients with low grade gliomas and brain metastases. Dr. Kim is principal investigator of several ongoing clinical trials evaluating the use of a newly developed advanced MR imaging technique for the intensification of radiation treatment in patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma, and the evaluation of a novel radiosensitizer (RRx-001) in combination with radiotherapy in patients with brain metastases.
Areas of Interest
- Prediction of treatment response and adaptive individualization of radiation treatment using advanced imaging modalities in malignant gliomas
- Evaluation of novel, targeted radiosensitizers in patients with brain metastases
- Clinical trials for brain metastases and adult gliomas
- Adult central nervous system tumors of the brain and spine
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy
Honors & Awards
2012 American Association for Women Radiologists Eleanor Montague Distinguished Resident Award in Radiation Oncology
2012 Radiation Therapy Oncology Group/American College of Radiology Clinical Research Fellowship Awardee
2011 American Association for Women Radiologists Research and Education Foundation Member-in-Training Award
2011 American Society of Clinical Oncology Cancer Foundation Merit Award
2010 Korean Society for Radiation Oncology Travel Award
2007 Alpha Omega Alpha
2004-2006 Ohio Board of Regents Graduate/Professional Fellowship
2004-2008 Case School of Medicine Dean’s Scholarship
2004 George T. Hunt Award for leadership, scholarship and service
2003 American Association for Cancer Research Thomas J. Bardos Science Education Award
2003 Joseph Skigin Memorial Award
2003 Phi Beta Kappa
2000-2004 Case Undergraduate Trustee’s Scholarship
- BA, Case Western Reserve University, 2004
- MD, Case Western Reserve University, 2008
- Internal Medicine Internship, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, 2009
- Residency, Radiation Oncology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013
- Board Certification: Radiation Oncology, 2014
(PI: Kim), 07/2013-01/2018 EpicentRx, Inc.: A phase I dose-escalation study of RRx-001 in combination with whole brain radiation in subjects with brain metastases, Role: Principal Investigator.
(PI: Kim), 07/15-07/2017, University of Michigan Department of Radiology Nuclear Medicine Seed Grant: Phase II Study of High Dose Radiotherapy and Concurrent Temozolomide Using Biologically-based Target Volume Definition in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma, Role: Principal Investigator.
(PI: Kim), 07/2015-07/2017, University of Michigan Clinical/Translation Resource Allocation Committee Grant: Phase II Study of High Dose Radiotherapy and Concurrent Temozolomide Using Biologically-based Target Volume Definition in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma, Role: Principal Investigator.
(PI: Kim), 07/2015-07/201, Michigan Memorial Phoenix Project: Phase II Study of High Dose Radiotherapy and Concurrent Temozolomide Using Biologically-based Target Volume Definition in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma, Role: Principal Investigator.
(PI: Kim), 06/2016-06/2017, Continuing Medical Education Innovation Grant: Engaging Academic and Community Partners: A Tumor Board-based Approach to Enhancing the Multidisciplinary Care of Patients with Brain Metastases and Leptomeningeal Disease, Role: Principal Investigator.
Selected from 16 publications
- Kim MM, Parolia A, Dunphy M, Venneti S. Non-invasive metabolic imaging of brain tumours in the era of precision medicine. Nat Rev Clin Onc, 13:725-39, 2016.
- Albert NL, Weller M, Suchorska B, Galldiks N, Soffietti R, Kim MM, la Fougere C, Pope W, Law I, Arbizu J, Chamberlain M, Vogelbaum M, Ellingson BM, Tonn JC. Response Assessment in Neuro-Oncology working group and European Association for Neuro-oncology recommendations for the clinical use of PET imaging in gliomas. Neuro-Oncology,18(9): 1199-1208, 2016.
- Zhu T, Chapman C, Tsien C, Kim MM, Spratt D, Lawrence TS, Cao Y. Effect of the Maximum Dose on White Matter Fiber Bundles Utilizing Longitudinal Diffusion Tensor Imaging. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 96(3):696-705, 2016.
- Kim MM, Camelo-Piragua S, Betz B, Cao Y, Junck L, Mammoser A, Schipper M, Tao Y, Kim CJ, Heth J, Sagher O, Lawrence TS, Tsien CI. Gemcitabine plus radiation therapy for high grade glioma: long-term results of a phase I dose-escalation study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 94(2):305-11, 2016
- Kim MM, Lawrence TS, Cao Y. Advances in magnetic resonance and positron emission tomography imaging: assessing Response in the Treatment of Low Grade Glioma. Seminars in Radiation Oncology, 25(3):172-180, 2015.