Areas of Interest
- Prostate brachytherapy
- Combined prostate brachy and external beam treatments
- Gynecological HDR brachytherapy
- Deformable registration
- Acceptance, Commissioning, Monthly and annual linear accelerator quality assurance (Varian 21EX and TrueBeam), and treatment machine calls.
- 3D treatment planning, plan and monitor unit checks, and weekly chart checks.
- VMAT and IMRT planning and quality assurance.
- Designed and developed HDR program at Providence Hospital
- Treatment planning (BrachyVision), plan checks, daily and quarterly quality assurance and new source acceptance and calibration (for Varian’s GammaMed Plus unit).
- Responsible for the prostate brachytherapy program
- Responsible for the stereotactic brain implant brachytherapy program
- Responsible for high source strength interstitial implants
- Designed and developed the TheraSpheres program at Providence Hospital
- Radiation Safety Officer
Electronic Clinical Workflow:
- Implemented the electronic workflow from Simulation to Treatment in the clinic
- Designed and developed the electronic workflow for protocol patients
Honors & Awards
2016 Fellow of the American Association of Medical Physicists
- PhD (Medical Physics), Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, 1997
- Board Certification:Radiation Oncology Physics, American Board of Medical Physics, 1999
- Board Certification: Therapeutic Radiological Physics, American Board of Radiology, 1999
Selected from 14 publications
- McLaughlin PW, Narayana V. High-dose-rate strictures: A theory of cancer meets anatomic reality” Brachytherapy, 12(3): 199-201, 2013.
- Nath R, Bice WS, Butler WM, Chen Z, Meigooni AS, Narayana V, Rivard MJ, Yu Y. AAPM Recommendations on dose prescription and reporting methods for permanent interstitial brachytherapy for prostate cancer: report of Task Group 137. Medical Physics, 36(11):5310-22, 2009.
- Narayana V, Troyer S, Evans V, Winfield RJ, Roberson PL, McLaughlin PW. A randomized Trial of High and Low Source Strength I-125 Seed Implants. Intl Journal of Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 61(1): 44-51, 2005.
- Narayana V, Orton CG, Pulsed Brachytherapy: A formalism to account for the variation in dose rate of the stepping source. Med Phys, 26(2), 1999.
- Narayana V, Roberson PL, Winfield RJ, Mclaughlin PW, Impact of ultrasound and computed tomography prostate volume registration on evaluation of permanent prostate implants. Intl Journal of Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 39(2):341-346, 1997.