Dr. Conroy is a Clinical Associate Professor in the University of Michigan Department Of Psychiatry. She is board certified in Sleep Disorders Medicine by the American Board of Sleep Medicine, in Behavioral Sleep Medicine by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, and in cognitive behavioral therapy by the American Board of Professional Psychology. Dr. Conroy obtained her Ph.D. in psychology from The City University of New York, New York, NY. She completed a two-year T-32 research postdoctoral fellowship funded by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism at the University of Michigan Addiction Research Center (UMARC).
Dr. Conroy’s research focuses broadly on sleep and psychiatric disorders and specifically on sleep disturbance in alcoholism, insomnia in adolescent depression, and sleep in marijuana users. Through collaborations with UMARC and the Sleep and Circadian Research laboratory, her work has focused on sleep homeostasis and melatonin characteristics in individuals recovering from alcoholism [1-3] as well as the use of cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia in individuals in that population[4, 5]. Dr. Conroy’s work with insomnia in depression has focused on the adolescent and young adult population. With support from Michigan Institute for Clinical and Health Research, the Flinn Foundation, and the Berman foundation, she examined sleep EEG characteristics of in children at high risk for depression  and ways to develop more acceptable treatments for insomnia in depressed adolescents. Finally, Dr. Conroy’s recent work has focused on how marijuana use in community sample of young adults affects daily functioning and sleep[8, 9].
1. Conroy DA, Hairston IS, Arnedt JT, Hoffmann RF, Armitage R, Brower KJ: Dim light melatonin onset in alcohol-dependent men and women compared with healthy controls. Chronobiol Int 2012, 29(1):35-42.
2. Armitage R, Hoffmann R, Conroy DA, Arnedt JT, Brower KJ: Effects of a 3-hour sleep delay on sleep homeostasis in alcohol dependent adults. Sleep 2012, 35(2):273-278.
3. Brower K, Hoffmann R, Conroy D, Arnedt J, Armitage R: Sleep homeostasis in alcohol-dependent, depressed and healthy control men. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2011, 261(8):559-566.
4. Arnedt J, Conroy D, Armitage R, Brower K: Cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia in alcohol dependent patients: a randomized controlled pilot trial. Behav Res Ther 2011, 49(4):227-233.
5. Arnedt J, Conroy D, Rutt J, Aloia M, Brower K, Armitage R: An open trial of cognitive-behavioral treatment for insomnia comorbid with alcohol dependence. Sleep Med 2007, 8(2):176-180.
6. Conroy D, Usoro A, Hoffmann R, Brower K, Armitage R: The influence of emerging low mood symptoms on sleep in children: a pilot study. Nature and Science of Sleep 2012, 4:133-142.
7. Conroy D, Czopp A, Dore-Stites D, Dopp R, Armitage R, Hoban T, Arnedt J: A Pilot Study on Adolescents With Depression and Insomnia: Qualitative Findings From Focus Groups. Behavioral Sleep Medicine 2015, 8:1-17.
8. Conroy D, Kurth M, Strong D, Brower K, Stein M: Marijuana Use Patterns and Sleep Among Community-Based Young Adults. Journal of Addictive Diseases 2015, In press.
9. Conroy D, Kurth M, Brower K, Strong D, Stein M: Impact of marijuana use on self-rated cognition in young adult men and women. American Journal of Addiction 2015, 24(2):160-165.