Contact the Conrad Jobst Vascular Research Laboratories
Housed in the Conrad Jobst Vascular Research Laboratory, the Wakefield Laboratory, led by Dr. Thomas W. Wakefield has had a longstanding interest in investigating the connection between inflammation and venous thrombosis (VT). His research is particularly interested in proteins known as selectins. A type of cell adhesion molecule, selectins help cells stick to one another and to surfaces in their environment. Selectins become upregulated in VT and, since white blood cells — important players in the inflammatory process — have selectin receptors on their surface, they slow down in the presence of selectins, attach to the inside lining of the vein and move into the vein wall and the growing clot.
The hypothesis that inflammation and thrombosis are related dates back to the 1970s. Our group was among the first to propose such a connection, and we have since made real strides in understanding the basic science and biological mechanisms at work when clots form. Our research is highly collaborative, and we work closely with investigators across the University of Michigan.
- Diaz JA, Fuchs TA, Hawley AE, Baker NK, Wrobleski SK, Jackson TO, Stabler CC,. Kremer Hovinga JA, Lämmle B, Guire KE, Henke PK, Myers Jr.DD, Wagner DD, and Wakefield TW. Plasma DNA is Elevated in Patients with Deep Vein Thrombosis. J Vasc Surg. October 2013. 1 (4) 341–348. PMID 24187669
- Obi AT, Dias JA, Ballard-Lipka N, Roelofs K, Farris D, Myers DD, Henke PK, Wakefield TW. Low molecular weight heparin modulates vein wall fibrotic response in a plasminogen activator inhibitor – 1 dependent manner. J Vasc Sur. Oct 2014 Vol 2, (4) 441–450.e1. PMID:25419511
- Diaz JA, Wrobleski SK, Alvarado CM, Hawley AE, Doornbos NK, Lester PA, Lowe SE, Gabriel JE, Roelofs KJ, Henke PK, Schaub RG, Wakefield TW, Myers DD Jr. P-Selectin Inhibition Therapeutically Promotes Resolution and Prevents Vein Wall Fibrosis Better Than Enoxaparin and an Inhibitor to von Willebrand Factor. ATVB 2015; 35:829-837 on line Feb 5, 2015.
- Culmer D, Dunber M, Hawley A, Sood S, Henke P, Wakefield T, Magnani J, Myers Jr. D. E-selectin inhibition with GMI-1271 decreases venous thrombosis without profoundly affecting tail vein bleeding in a mouse model. Thromb Haemost. 2017 Jun 2;117(6):1171-1181. Epub 2017 Mar 16. PMID: 28300869
- Kanthi Y, Wakefield TW, Pinsky D. Tuning the thrombo-inflammatory response to venous flow interruption by the ectonucleotidase CD39. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol.2019 Apr;39(4):e118-e129. PMID: 30816804
- Obi AT, Tignanelli CJ, Jacobs BN, Arya S, Park PK, Wakefield TW, Henke PK, Napolitano LM. Empirical systemic anticoagulation is associated with decreased venous thromboembolism in critically ill influenza A H1N1 acute respiratory distress syndrome patients. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2019 May;7(3):317-324. PMID: 30477976
- Devata S, Angelini D, Blackburn S, Hawley A, Myers DD, Schaefer JK, Hemmer M, Magnani JL, Thackray HM, Wakefield TW, Sood SL. Use of GMI-1271, an E-Selectin Antagonist in Healthy Subjects and in Two Patients with Calf Vein Thrombosis. Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2020 Feb 11;4(2):193-204. PMID: 32110749
- Myers D, Lester P, Adili R, Hawley A, Durham L, Dunivant V, Reynolds G, Sood S, Fogler W, Magnani J, Holinstat M, Wakefield TW. E-Selectin Inhibition: A New Way to Treat Proximal Deep Vein Thrombosis. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2020 Mar;8(2):268-278. PMID 32067728
- Obi AT, Barnes GD, Wakefield TW, Brown S, Eliason JE, Arndt E, Henke PK. Practical diagnosis and treatment of suspected venous thromboembolism during COVID-19 Pandemic. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2020 Jul;8(4):526-534. PMID: 32305585
- Obi AT, Barnes, GD, Napolitano LM. Henke PK, Wakefield TW. Venous thrombosis epidemiology, pathophysiology, and anticoagulant therapies and trials in severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2021 Jan;9(1):23-35. PMID: 32916371
- Myers DD, Ning J, Lester P, Adili R, Hawley A, Durham L, Dunivant V, Reynolds G, Crego K, Sood S, Sigler R, Fogler WE, Magnani JL, Holinstat M, Wakefield TW. E-selectin Inhibitor is Superior to LMWH for Treatment of Experimental Venous Thrombosis. Journal of Vascular Surgery: Venous and Lymphatic Disorders. 2022 Jan;10(1): 211-220. PMID: 33872819