Traditionally, the opportunity to visit academic institutions as an invited guest for presentations and scientific programs is reserved for senior faculty. Faculty exposure at partnering institutions provides early career faculty the opportunity to network, establish collaborations, observe experts in their field perform procedures not currently offered at the University of Michigan or to disseminate their own research.
Through the Early Career Faculty Exchange, the Department of Surgery will foster these experiences with following goals:
- Increase national visibility of our early career faculty.
- Allow early career faculty to network and establish inter-institutional collaborations.
- Develop/observe new operative techniques, skills or interests.
- Increase the exposure of our trainees to faculty from a diverse array of institutions.
Visits to Participating Institutions
Faculty will participate in 2 to 3-day period of protected time and with covered travel expenses to visit another Department of Surgery in the United States. The faculty will be expected to provide didactics for the receiving institution’s trainees, lectures/seminars showcasing their research, and meet with the receiving institution’s faculty, observe procedures or discuss clinical or academic collaboration. A network of participating institutions of academic surgical departments across the United States has been established to encourage faculty participation.
Participating institutions include Massachusetts General Hospital, Dartmouth College, Duke University, The Ohio State University, Stanford University, Vanderbilt University, University of Wisconsin, Northwestern University, Medical College of Wisconsin and the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- All Assistant Professor faculty within 10 years of hire are encouraged to apply.
- Previous participants are invited to apply.
- Visits must occur within the program year (August 1, 2023 to June 1, 2024).
An application will be considered complete when the online application is submitted including:
The deadline for application is March 1, 2023. Notifications to selected participants will be sent out by April 1, 2023.