Exemplary mentorship is a major way that University of Michigan trains the next generation of physicians and scholars. As leaders in mentorship, we have designed a full-day educational experience, “The Michigan Mentorship Academy,” for those interested in learning about how to mentor and be mentored.
This event is targeted toward mentor-mentee dyads, faculty development leaders interested in mentorship and increasing the success of mentees (this could also include program directors and departmental leaders), individual mentors looking to improve their mentorship capabilities, and junior people (residents, fellows, junior faculty) looking to get the most out of their mentoring relationships. The event will include a combination of lectures, panel discussions, question and answer sessions, small group discussions and role play.
Topics will include:
- What Mentors Wish Their Mentees Knew
- Helping Mentees Craft Their Trajectories: Finding the Golden Nugget
- Mentee Missteps
- Gender Bias in the Workplace
- Navigating Blindspots: Challenges that Cross Gender Lines
- Inclusive Mentorship
- Building a Culture of Mentorship