The Department of Surgery is committed to programmatic development that inspires and supports faculty members and trainees to participate in all levels of outreach. Academic institutions play a critical role in the setting of scientific, academic and social projects that are fully integrated with local, national, and global initiatives.
Michigan Promise: Outreach
"The Michigan Promise isn't about one vision. It's about everybody having equal opportunity to achieve their potential, not just here but throughout the entire world."
- Doctors of Tomorrow: The Doctors of Tomorrow program is a partnership between Detroit’s Cass Technical High School, the University of Michigan Medical School, and the Department of Surgery in which high school students from underrepresented communities in medicine work with faculty members, medical students and residents to prepare for a career in healthcare.
- Hope Clinic: The Hope Medical Clinic is a free clinic in Ypsilanti, MI in which trainees have the chance to serve as patient advocates, improve patient communication skills, and better understand barriers to healthcare.
- Health equity, Opportunity, Pipeline, and Education (HOPE) Collaborative: The HOPE Collaborative brings together experts from across the country to discuss how health care professionals can address issues related to structural racism within our broader communities.
- Michigan Women's Surgical Collaborative (MWSC): The MWSC is a group in the Department of Surgery that aims to find tools to support the success of women in surgery through research and outreach, including an annual conference that brings together surgical faculty members and residents from across the country.
- Global REACH: This University of Michigan group partners with faculty members and students in the University of Michigan Medical School who are participating in international partnerships focused on promoting health, research, and education.
- The Michigan Center for Global Surgery: This center in the Department of Surgery aims to reduce barriers of access to basic surgical care globally through clinical care, education, innovation, research, and advocacy.