What is the Pediatric Surgery Innovation Fellowship program?
The Pediatric Surgery Innovation Fellowship is a multidisciplinary "team" training program for post-graduate professionals with medical, dental, doctorate, or master's degrees, who are committed to addressing real healthcare issues through innovation excellence. This program draws on the strengths of Michigan's renowned schools and colleges to develop a new type of medical innovator with the knowledge and integrated, cross-disciplinary skills necessary to transform problems into practical solutions and discoveries into products. This intensive program provides practical training through experiential learning that allows innovation knowledge to be applied to the medical arena and beyond.
What is a medical innovation team?
Fellows are assembled into multidisciplinary innovation teams, comprised of at least one surgical resident and at least one engineer. Each team is different and have in the past included fellows with an MBA or design background. Innovation Fellows are expected to function as a cohesive team, blurring the boundaries of their respective disciplines, specialties, or sub-specialties.
How will I benefit from being a Pediatric Surgery Innovation Fellow?
Upon completion of the fellowship training, not only will you have had advanced training from a premiere institution, but you will also be:
- Proficient in the "best practices" of innovation, which can be broadly applied
- Able to create a successful, sustainable innovation program that drives business value
- Well-positioned to make a substantial contribution in an existing healthcare company or to establish a new venture
- Equipped with the "know-how" to develop real products to address real problems that make a real difference
- Effective in working in multidisciplinary teams and assuming management and leadership roles
- Networked with an innovative and entrepreneurial community
- Highly sought after for your knowledge and experience
Will I receive a degree upon completion?
The fellowship training program is a non-degree granting program. The program is intended to be an advanced experiential education that expands your perspectives and skills and develops an integrated, cross-disciplinary approach that can be applied to your independent career goals.
Is there a charge for the training program?
There is no tuition charged for the fellowship. You will receive a stipend and are eligible for health benefits during the program.