Our program offers:
- Extensive experience in both open and endovascular cases, with an almost equal distribution of volume.
- Three diverse clinical training hubs. The VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System offers experience with routine vascular surgery. St. Joseph Mercy Hospital provides a high-volume community surgery setting. Michigan Medicine is a large academic medical center drawing diverse and complex cases from around the country and the world.
- Exposure to all elements of vascular surgery. Our 9 operating surgeons provide expertise in all aspects of the specialty, from common vascular procedures to specialized practices such as advanced endovascular procedures, advanced open reconstruction of the thoracic and abdominal aorta and visceral branches, complex cerebrovascular reconstructions, thoracic outlet syndrome decompressions, and pediatric vascular procedures
- A record of exceptional outcomes, including graduate placements in competitive positions.
As a fellow at Michigan, you’ll learn from internationally recognized surgeons and researchers with interests that span the spectrum of vascular surgery, providing unique exposure to all facets of our specialty.
- A multidisciplinary approach to peripheral vascular, aortic, and venous disease.
- Exposure to all aspects of vascular surgery, including more niche interests.
- Access to one of the nation’s best cardiovascular centers, the Frankel Cardiovascular Center, a 425,000-square-foot, $215 million facility with a 24-bed surgical post-procedure ICU, 24 vascular general/moderate care beds, and 11 dedicated cardiothoracic and vascular ORs.
Fellowship Curriculum & Rotations
The Vascular Surgery Fellowship Program is structured to help you build a solid clinical foundation as you advance to progressive independence in the specialty.
During the first year (Fellow 1), 5 months will be spent on Vascular CVC, 3 months on Vascular Endo, 2 months on Vascular SMJH, 1 month on DVU/Superficial Venous Disease, and 1 month on an Elective. The second-year fellow (Fellow 2) will spend 6 months on Vascular CVC, 3 months on Vascular Endo, 2 months on Vascular VA, and 1 month of Vascular Offsite.