Dr. Chinnaiyan’s laboratory is focused on using functional genomic, proteomic, metabolomic and bioinformatics approaches to dissect and understand cancer biology as well as discover biomarkers. He and his collaborators have characterized a number of biomarkers of prostate cancer including AMACR, EZH2, hespin and sarcosine. His laboratory identified recurrent gene fusions of TMPRSS2 to ETS family transcription factors in prostate cancer, potentially redefining the molecular basis of prostate cancer as well as other common epithelial cancers. His laboratory developed the popular cancer profiling bioinformatics resource called Oncomine (www.oncomine.org).
Dr. Chinnaiyan has received a number of prestigious awards including the Dean’s Basic Science Research Award, the Amgen Outstanding Investigator Award, the Pew Biomedical Scholar Award, the Burroughs Wellcome Fund Award in Clinical Translational Research, the 2006 Benjamin Castleman Award, the 2007 Ramzi Cotran Young Investigator Award and was appointed as an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Dr. Chinnaiyan was also elected as a member of the American Society of Clinical Investigation and the Association of American Physicians.
Areas of Interest
Clinical genomics and proteomics; cancer profiling
Prostate and Breast Cancer, Genomics, Proteomics, Metabolomics, and Bioinformatics
Published Articles or Reviews
View Research Profile at Michigan Experts
- Papillary renal cell carcinoma revisited: a comprehensive histomorphologic study with outcome correlations.Warrick JI, et al.
Hum Pathol. 2014
- Therapeutic targeting of BET bromodomain proteins in castration-resistant prostate cancer.Asangani IA, et al.
- The lncRNAs PCGEM1 and PRNCR1 are not implicated in castration resistant prostate cancer.Prensner JR, et al.
- HOXB13 G84E-related Familial Prostate Cancers: A Clinical, Histologic, and Molecular Survey.Smith SC, et al.
Am J Surg Pathol. 2014
- KRAS protein stability is regulated through SMURF2: UBCH5 complex-mediated β-TrCP1 degradation.Shukla S, et al.
- RNA identity crisis: hepatitis B walks the LINE.Niknafs YS, et al.
Cancer Cell. 2014
- PCAT-1, a long noncoding RNA, regulates BRCA2 and controls homologous recombination in cancer.Prensner JR, et al.
Cancer Res. 2014
- The central role of EED in the orchestration of polycomb group complexes.Cao Q, et al.
Nat Commun. 2014
- Characterization of the genomic features and expressed fusion genes in micropapillary carcinomas of the breast.Natrajan R, et al.
J Pathol. 2014
- Primary urethral clear-cell adenocarcinoma: comprehensive analysis by surgical pathology, cytopathology, and next-generation sequencing.Mehra R, et al.
Am J Pathol. 2014