Brian Denton has a joint appointment with Urology and Industrial & Operations Engineering (IOE). He joined the IOE faculty in 2012. His primary research interests are in optimization under uncertainty with applications to medical decision making related to the detection, treatment, and prevention of chronic diseases. He is a member of the Cancer Center and the Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation at University of Michigan, and he holds a fellowship appointment at the Cecil Sheps Health Services Research Center at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In 2017 he served as President of the Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS). He now serves as the Chair of the Department of Industrial and Operations Engineering.
Previously he has been a Senior Associate Consultant at Mayo Clinic, and a Senior Engineer at IBM. In 2009 he received the National Science Foundation Career Award. He has also won the INFORMS Service Section Prize (2010), the INFORMS Daniel H. Wagner Prize (2005), the Institute of Industrial Engineers Outstanding Publication Award (2005), and the Canadian Operations Research Society Best Paper Award (2000). He has co-authored more than eighty journal articles, conference proceedings, and book chapters, and he holds twenty-five patents granted by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Areas of Interest
Research Interests: Data Science with a focus on computational optimization under uncertainty including stochastic programming, simulation-optimization, and Markov decision processes. Data analytic approaches to medical decision making related to the detection, treatment, and prevention of chronic diseases including cancer, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- B.S., Joint Physics and Chemistry Honors, Department of Physics, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada, 1994
- M.S., Department of Physics and Astronomy, York University, Toronto, ON, Canada, 1996
- Ph.D, Department of Management Science/Systems, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada, 2001
- Institute for Operations Research and Management Science
- Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers
- Society for Medical Decision Making
- Omega Rho International Honor Society