MUA 2021 - June 11-12, 2021
Held on June 11-12, 2021, the Department of Urology held the 1st Annual Michigan Urology Academy (MUA) for over 80 medical students from 68 different medical schools. The goal of the MUA is to increase diversity of the urologic workforce through improved opportunity and access for all. Many shared their personal stories and reflections on their journey in medicine including Drs. Denise Asafu-Adjei, Andrology Fellow, University of California Los Angeles; Yaw Nyame, Assistant Professor, Department of Urology, University of Washington; Shenelle Wilson, Founder of Urology Unbound; David Brown, Associate Vice President and Associate Dean for Health Equity and Inclusion, University of Michigan; Marcia Perry, Assistant Professor, Emergency Medicine, University of Michigan; Valerie Valbuena, General Surgery Resident, University of Michigan; Cheryl Lee, Chair, Department of Urology, Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center; Yahir Santiago-Lastra, Assistant Clinical Professor, University of California San Diego; and Tracy Downs, Chief Diversity and Community Engagement Officer, University of Virginia. Discussions included how to apply/interview in urology, how to be successful during your sub-internship and how to deal with micro-aggressions in the workplace, among other topics.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Current student in an accredited medical school in the US, Canada or Caribbean
- Curiosity/Interest in Urology
- Complete the Program Application
- Submit your CV
- Submit your unofficial transcript
- Submit a personal statement reflecting your training trajectory to date. Include any information regarding previous experience working in organizations that address health inequalities, living in a community or area adversely affected by health inequalities, or personal experience with health inequalities. (300 word limit)
- Submit your thoughts on how the Covid-19 pandemic has magnified health inequalities in your community. (300 word limit)
If you have any questions about eligibility or wish to apply, please contact Aprill White at 734-936-5801 or email@example.com.