Specific aspects to note:
- The MD curriculum features one preclinical basic science "trunk" year; a clinical "trunk" year that includes the standard rotations e.g. internal medicine, pediatrics, etc.; and two "branches" years that feature large blocks of elective time to integrate clinical medicine and science in areas of specialized interest.
- MSTP students take USMLE Step 1 half way through the M2 clinical trunk year, and then undertake their PhD education
- Each student has an individualized Research Rotation Advisory Committee to provide guidance in selecting research mentors and a PhD program.
- Two research rotations are required; many fellows do three.
- Clinical activities to maintain skills are provided during the PhD phase, including a clinical refresher at the transition back to the M2 year.
- MSTP students can shorten their Branches training if they want to.
- The MSTP is completed typically in 8 years.