COVID-19 Guidance for Applicants
The Michigan MSTP application cycle will follow any changes implemented by the MD program. Please review more details here.
University of Michigan Medical School MSTP applicants must:
Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. All applications receive equal consideration, regardless of in-state or out-of-state residency status. Please note: Applicants with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status are welcome to apply to the MD program, but unfortunately cannot apply to the MSTP due to federal funding restrictions.
Submit a complete University of Michigan Medical School application (AMCAS and secondary).
Complete the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) - see COVID-19 related guidance here.
Request letters of recommendation through the AMCAS Letter Service. We require a minimum of 3 letters of recommendation (or a committee letter) with a maximum of 6 letters. We advise choosing letter writers who can provide insight on the applicant’s suitability for the MD/PhD program. At least one letter should be from a research mentor that focuses on the applicant’s qualifications for graduate study and potential for scientific research. If an applicant has had multiple short research experiences, rather than one long one, more than one research letter is advisable. The Medical School Office of Admissions uses the same letters when evaluating MSTP applicants.
- Letters of Recommendation Summary:
- 3 letters of recommendation (or a committee letter) are required with a maximum of 6 letters.
- Letters may come from any individuals you believe can objectively assess your qualifications for graduate study and potential for scientific research, and it is recommended that at least one letter is submitted from a research mentor.
- ALL letters need to be submitted using the AMCAS letter service.
- Do NOT send any letters directly to the University of Michigan Medical School MSTP Office.
- 2022 UM MSTP Secondary Application Essay Prompts:
- Essay 1: Describe why you are applying to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, area of research or laboratory for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation. We recognize that your interests may change. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
- Essay 2: Please respond to ONLY one of the following two prompts: Describe your identity and how it has impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients.
If you recognize and/or represent a voice that is missing, underrepresented, or undervalued in medicine, please describe the missing voice(s) and how increased representation in medicine could impact the medical community. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).
- Essay 3: How was your journey to medical school affected by the COVID pandemic? Please feel free to describe any positive or negative aspects. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).
- Essay 4: Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
Technical standards are the basic requirements every MSTP student needs to meet for admission, enrollment and graduation.
The Medical School recently updated its technical standards to be more inclusive for qualified candidates who may require specific accommodations. We evaluate and work with students on a case-by-case basis to be sure all technical standards can be reasonably met. Learn more about the thinking behind our standards.