In each Path, students can expect to:
- Connect with an advisor.
- Engage in specialized experiences.
- Develop substantive skills and knowledge in their field.
- Network with other professionals.
- Refine leadership talents.
- Complete a Capstone for Impact project that reflects their personal interest in the field and fulfills the graduation requirement.
Our current Paths of Excellence focus on the below areas:
- Global Health & Disparities
- Health Policy & Economics
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Medical Humanities
- Patient Safety & Quality Improvement
- Scientific Discovery
Determining Your Path
The Paths of Excellence have seven interdisciplinary options. Students can learn more about a Path they are interested in during the first few months of medical school. About halfway through the M1 year, students can choose to join a Path. Reasons for joining often include: gaining knowledge and skills not found in the required curriculum; creating or expanding a professional network in that part of medicine; and creating a Capstone for Impact project based on your Path experience.
Approximately 80-90% of our M1s join a Path of Excellence each year.
Interested students will submit a short application during a designated time period. The application typically includes a current CV and a short essay (average of 350 words) that discusses:
- Path choice (if torn between 2, students can list choice #1, choice #2).
- Personal and professional reasons for selecting the Path(s).
- Background information or past experiences that may add to the Path community.
- Desired Capstone for Impact focus or areas they would be interested in exploring.
Application information is used to help Path Directors create a good fit for the student both in terms of a Path of Excellence and an assigned Path Advisor.