In each Path, students can expect to:
- Connect with an advisor
- Engage in specialized experiences
- Develop substantive skills and knowledge in their field
- Network with other professionals
- Refine leadership talents
- Create a capstone project that reflects their personal interest in the field
Our current Paths of Excellence focus on the below areas:
- Global Health & Disparities
- Health Policy
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Medical Humanities
- Patient Safety/Quality Improvement/Complex Systems
- Scholarship of Learning & Teaching
- Scientific Discovery
Determining Your Path
The Paths of Excellence have eight interdisciplinary options. Students can learn more about a Path they are interested in during the first few months of medical school. About halfway through the M1 year, students can choose to join a Path. Reasons for joining often include: investing in an related capstone experience; gaining knowledge and skills not found in the required curriculum; and creating or expanding a professional network in that part of medicine.
Nearly 90% of this year's M1 class applied to take part in a Path of Excellence.
Interested students will submit a short application during a designated time period. The application typically includes a current CV and a short essay (average of 350 words) that discusses:
- Path choice (if torn between 2, students can list choice #1, choice #2)
- Personal and professional reasons for selecting the Path(s)
- Background information or past experiences that may add to the Path community
- Desired capstone focus or areas they would be interested in exploring
Application information is used to help Path Directors create a good fit for the student both in terms of a Path of Excellence and an assigned Path Advisor.