Research Travel Award

Students who are accepted to present original clinical, basic science or educational scholarship (usually in the form of an oral presentation or poster) at a regional, national, or international meeting will be considered for a Special Needs research travel award upon submission of an application for such funding.

Points to keep in mind:

  • The research must have been conducted while a student at the University of Michigan Medical School.
  • You must be enrolled at UMMS at the time of the conference.
  • You must be the primary presenter (e.g. lead author on poster).
  • Only one award per presentation (i.e. if co-presenting, only one is eligible).
  • If the research was done through the Student Biomedical Research Program (SBRP), you must apply for assistance through them first. If funding is unavailable or is limited, you may apply to the Special Needs program for the difference.
  • Only one travel award of this type will be offered each academic year.
  • The maximum award in grant funds is $1000. If approved expenses exceed the maximum grant allowance, long-term low-interest institutional loans are available to cover the additional need.
  • Eligible expenses include conference registration, transportation costs, lodging and meals.
  • Please explore alternative funding mechanisms such as the department with which your research was done, the PI for grant support.
  • Funds are generally awarded after travel has occurred. Funds are advanced only if waiting until the expenses have been incurred would cause an extreme hardship.
  • Application and supporting documentation must be submitted no later than 45 days after travel occurs.

To apply for funding, submit:

  • Your Special Needs application.
  • A letter of acceptance or invitation to participate in the meeting/conference.
  • Receipts for your expenses (transportation, lodging, conference registration, etc.).

Effective January 1, 2017, participation on panels, train-the-trainers, or workshops will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the Associate Dean's Office.

Submit a Special Needs application and document your expenses.