FAQs: During Applications

The road to financial aid begins with the application process. All admitted students are considered for Admissions scholarships, and about half of incoming students receive a scholarship or grant, ranging from hundreds of dollars to full tuition.

Here are some of the most common questions we hear during the application process. Feel free to contact our office with more questions.

Who can apply for financial aid?

Everyone who is admitted to the University of Michigan Medical School is welcome to apply for financial aid, which includes scholarships, grants and loans.

Are there considerations for new vs. returning students?

Yes, newly admitted medical students should review their specific financial aid deadlines on Next Steps.

Returning (current) students need to complete and submit their FAFSA and all other required materials to the Medical School Financial Aid Office by March 31. Students who meet these deadlines will be eligible for full financial aid consideration (institutional and external funding) to the extent of their financial need.

How can I apply for financial aid?

To be considered for any type of financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the University of Michigan Medical School Application.

To get started, check out How to Apply.

Do I have to provide parental information on my applications?

Yes. Even though as a graduate student you are considered independent, we rely on parent information submitted on your UMMS Financial Aid Application to determine the need of each student.

If you want to be considered for all types of aid — federal as well as institutional loans and grants — you must provide parental information on the UMMS Financial Aid Application.

Continuing/current students will only be asked for parental information in their M2 year and beyond if they are interested in LDS loans. Parental data is mandatory for Department of Health and Human Services programs (such as Loans for Disadvantaged Students).

Parental information is not necessary if you are applying only for the William D. Ford Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and/or the GradPLUS Loan.

Even though you need to submit this information for some types of aid, we don’t expect parents to provide financial support and this information won’t jeopardize your eligibility for the William D. Ford Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford or GradPLUS Loan Programs. This information is a tool to help us assess individual situations.

How is financial need determined?

The Federal Methodology formula used to determine whether you are eligible for need-based aid is:

Budget – Family Contribution (Parental Contribution + Student Contribution) = Eligibility for Assistance.

Students are advised to provide parental income information on the UMMS Financial Aid Application for full consideration of all financial aid programs.

Several federal programs as well as institutional programs require parental information regardless of dependency status.

When will I be notified of financial aid eligibility?

Notification to on-time applicants will begin in June.

You’ll be notified via email with instructions on how to accept, decline or change your aid through your Wolverine Access account. Wolverine Access is U-M’s student portal where you can manage your personal and account information, among other things.

It is important to notify us promptly if there is a change in your financial status, such as the receipt of additional aid or a change in your enrollment plans.

Is my financial aid renewable?

Students will need to reapply each academic year. Aid is awarded based on the new financial information you submit, as well as new financial aid packaging policies.

How much does it cost to live in Ann Arbor?

We’ve created a Guideline Budget that represents a modest but adequate cost of living for the typical med student.

If you have special budget needs you would like to have considered during the process of determining your level of available financial aid, please let us know!

What is the process for international students?

University of Michigan Medical School applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Contact the Medical School Admissions Office with questions.

Is funding available if I want to pursue a dual degree?

Yes. Students meet one-on-one with our registrar and a financial aid counselor to be guided through the process. Students who are enrolled in a degree program at U-M that is outside of the Medical School will be beholden to central campus financial aid policies and support.

What about assistance for students with a spouse and/or children?

Spouses are not covered in a student’s budget, and only in certain circumstances are maintenance expenses for dependents/children included. Contact us if you have any questions about available assistance.

Medical students with children are eligible to apply for a child care subsidy for assistance with licensed child care costs (daycare).

Are there financial aid programs available specifically for veterans?

The U-M Veterans Certification Department assists students with applying for their veterans’ educational benefits.

The Veterans Certification Department is located in the Registrar’s Office:

1207 LSA Building
500 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1382

Is there funding for students from an underrepresented group in medicine?

The University of Michigan Medical School does not designate funds for a specific group based on race, color, national origin or sex.

Our office has extensive experience in helping students understand all of their financial aid options no matter their background, including need- or merit-based institutional and/or federal loans, scholarships and/or grants.