Do you like cooking and/or baking? Do you have no clue how to cook/bake and want to learn? Do you want to hang out with your future classmates and eat neat treats?
Culinary Connections is an accessible, student-led, cooking and baking orientation program sponsored by M-Home, designed for incoming students who would like an opportunity to meet their future classmates in a fun, stress-free environment. Before Launch, you are invited to join fellow M1's and excited upperclassmen to explore different recipes, cooking/baking techniques, and have all your burning questions answered by people who have been in your shoes! No previous experience is required – in fact, we encourage students who want to learn some quick, easy recipes to swing by and gain some life skills.
Culinary Connections is very flexible in its programming: while there are usually 3-5 days of orientation, you can pick whichever day/days you’d like to participate in and have control over your own orientation experience!
Through Culinary Connections, you will:
- Find community with your new peers while making (and eating!) delicious food
- Meet, bond with, and be able to probe the minds of upperclassmen who are eager to share advice and experiences that have gotten them through medical school thus far
- Build your confidence and repertoire in the kitchen, learning from both your classmates and upperclassmen, while also being able to share your own personal tips and tricks
Snapshot of a day on Culinary Connections:
- Blueberry Picking: 11:00-12:00 p.m.
- Catered Lunch: 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Jam making and cookie baking: starting 2:00 p.m.
- Upperclassmen Q&A while cookies are baking
- Cookie wrap-up, distribution, and goodbyes: 5:00-6:00 p.m.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are this year’s dates?
A: Culinary Connections typically takes place the week leading up to the White Coat Ceremony.
Q: Where does Culinary Connections take place?
A: Particular events, such as fruit picking, may take place in nearby towns, but most of the programming occurs somewhere in Ann Arbor.
Q: Do I have to go to all of the events?
A: Nope! Culinary Connections is programmed to be extremely flexible! You get to pick which days you’d like to go to, and since most of the events take place in Ann Arbor, you can leave when you need to if something comes up!
Q: How much will it cost?
A: $0! Culinary Connections is completely free for all students!
Q: Do I need to know how to cook/bake?
A: Not in the slightest! We’re happy to help you build your foundation in the kitchen.
Q: How can I sign up?
A: Matriculating students may RSVP for Culinary Connections events soon after the commit deadline.
Q: Who do I contact if I have questions?
A: Please feel free to email us at: [email protected]