U-M PREP accepts up to 11 participants into the program, which starts July 1 of each year. During the first month of the program, PREP directors will help students match with a faculty mentor whose lab is doing research of interest to them. More than 150 U-M faculty members are available to mentor PREP scholars for their 1-year research experience, including guidance in the graduate school application process.
In the 2019-20 year PREP participants will receive a salary of $26,500, plus health benefits and dental insurance.
Beyond their work on research projects, PREP participants have opportunities to participate in activities designed to enhance their preparation for graduate school, such as:
- A preparation course for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
- Social events.
- Seminars and journal clubs.
- Opportunities to enhance their studies with an undergraduate or graduate course in the fall or winter term.
- Opportunities to present research projects and discuss graduate school and career advice with faculty mentors.
- Career development events for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
- Help with applying to graduate school.