Postdoc Preview is postponed for May 2020. Out of an abundance of caution, the University of Michigan recently placed a temporary hold on recruitment events. Once travel and work restrictions are lifted, we will reschedule the event. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Postdoctoral Studies, email@example.com
Applications for the Postdoc Preview will open Monday, February 17, 2020 and close Friday, March 27, 2020.
**UPDATE** Application Deadline is extended to Friday, April 3, 2020.
Applicants must expect to complete their thesis research by December 2020 and be U.S. citizens or permanent residents or be currently enrolled in a U.S. graduate institution. Applicants will be required to provide a current CV, including a list of publications, a statement of research interests, a letter of recommendation from their current mentor, and the names of two to three U-M faculty mentors with whom the applicant would like to interview.
- Biological Chemistry
- Cancer Biology
- Cell & Developmental Biology
- Human Genetics
- Molecular Pathology
- Molecular Physiology
Thursday, May 28, 2020
- Arrival: Guests arrive at any time prior to 4:00 p.m.
- 4:30-5:30 p.m.: Tour of Ann Arbor and campus.
- 6:00 p.m.: Dinner at the home of Dr. Michele Swanson, faculty director of the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
Friday, May 29, 2020
- 8:00-11:45 a.m.: Interviews with faculty. Participants will be able to meet one-on-one with faculty and interview for postdoctoral positions.
- 12:00-1:15 p.m.: Lunch. Learn about the benefits and resources available to Medical School postdoctoral research fellows.
- 1:30 p.m.-on: Interviews with faculty. Participants will be able to meet one-on-one with faculty and interview for postdoctoral positions.
- Evening: Depart campus. Ground transportation is arranged from hotel to Detroit Metro Airport (DTW).
Is Preview really fully funded?
Yes. If you are selected to attend, all domestic airfare, transportation, lodging, and meals are included.
Is an invitation to Preview an offer to work at the University of Michigan as a postdoctoral scholar?
No. Preview is a two-day campus visit during which you will interview with prospective mentors and network with current postdocs.
When will applications be evaluated?
Application decisions will be sent out by Friday, April 10, 2020 via email. At that time, selected applicants will be invited to contact faculty directly to inquire about funding for postdocs and request interviews for Friday, May 29, 2020.
How can I identify faculty mentors I want to interview with?
There are a number of ways and resources to identify faculty whose research interests match your own. The following sites may support your search within the University of Michigan Medical School:
Biomedical Sciences faculty search by name, program, or research topic
Review department websites to identify faculty in your area of science. A list of departments in the Medical School can be found here.
Researcher database by topic, name, or free text excerpts
Ask your mentor and researchers in your network for recommendations!
What does Ann Arbor have to offer?
On the banks of the Huron River, Ann Arbor is a midwestern cultural mecca, offering a unique blend of city sophistication and small-town charm that appeals to students and professionals, singles and families. Ann Arbor is both ethnically diverse and culturally rich and is consistently voted one of the best places to live in the United States. Read more about Ann Arbor!
I have more questions. Who can I talk to?
You can contact the Office of Postdoctoral Studies staff at (734) 763-5940 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team will be happy to answer questions.