U-M Medical School offers a number of clinical electives to students who are in their final year and attending either:
- A U.S. medical school that is accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- One of the COCA Accredited Medical Schools.
If you're attending an international (non-U.S.) medical school, please contact the Global REACH office to determine your eligibility. Global REACH coordinates all activities related to visits by international medical students, including U.S. citizens who attend a foreign medical school. International students whose applications have not been screened for eligibility by Global REACH will not be accepted.
U.S. Medical School Students
To be considered eligible for a clinical elective, a U.S. medical school student MUST:
- Be in their final year of medical studies
- Be in good academic and professional standing
- Have taken and passed the USMLE Step 1 exam or COMLEX-USA Level 1 exam
- Have taken and passed their required M3 rotations in Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics and Surgery BEFORE their elective here begins
- Have completed 48 weeks of required rotations in the same medical school where they completed their basic science (M1 and M2) training
- Meet requirements and prerequisites of the requested elective(s)
- Apply using VSAS, AAMC’s Visiting Student Application Service; no applications are accepted outside of VSAS
- Download a one-page PDF about our VSAS application requirements.
- Visit our Institution Information site in VSAS for further details about applying. This information is subject to change.
- Electives Catalog Published in VSAS: March 18, 2019
- Applications Accepted: March 18, 2019 through December 2, 2019
- Applications Processed: Applications are reviewed for eligibility in the order in which they are received. Then individual departments review their applications and determine availability in the elective applied to. Priority is given to our own students in all electives.
- Application Deadline: 60 days prior to the start of a rotation. For rotation months of February 2020, March 2020, and April 2020, please apply by December 2, 2019.
- Rotating off-cycle or off-block is not permitted. You must rotate according to the 4-week rotation dates indicated on the 2019-20 Visiting Student Calendar. If your home institution’s academic calendar does not align with ours, please inquire with your home institution whether an approved vacation or leave can be obtained.
- Elective Limits: A maximum of two (2) 4-week electives (total of 2 months) may be completed. Research electives are not permitted. Only the electives listed in our visiting student catalog are available and only during the periods indicated in VSAS. Some electives are not available to osteopathic medical students. Please review the electives catalog in VSAS for more information.
Questions about Electives?
Under no circumstances shall an interested student make independent arrangements with a program or faculty. All inquiries regarding elective opportunities should be directed to the Medical School's Visiting Students Coordinator (U.S. medical students) or Global REACH (international medical students).
Questions about VSAS or our visiting students program? Contact the Visiting Students Coordinator.