Would you like to talk with someone about the possibility of making a gift?
Feel free to contact:
Associate Director of Development
James E. Carpenter, M.D.
Chair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Carl Badgley Alumni Society
The Carl Badgley Alumni Society is named in honor of Carl Egbert Badgley. Dr. Badgley was born in Cayuga, New York, on October 8, 1893, the son of a Presbyterian minister. He entered the University of Michigan in 1913, and received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1917. He earned his Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Michigan Medical School in 1919, interned at University Hospital from 1919 to 1920, after which he was offered a position as Instructor to the Department of Surgery. From 1922 to 1923 he was in private practice in Detroit, Michigan, but returned to the University as Assistant Professor of Surgery in charge of orthopaedic surgery. He was promoted to Associate Professor of Surgery in 1928, a position he held for one year when he accepted a position of Head of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. He remained there until 1932 when he accepted the appointment as Professor of Surgery in charge of orthopaedic surgery at the University of Michigan, a post he held until 1961 when he resigned his administrative responsibilities but continued as active Professor of Surgery until 1963 when he became Emeritus Professor. He maintained an active private practice and was available for consultation until his retirement in October 1967. Dr. Badgley died on February 4, 1973, at his home in Venice, Florida.
Dr. Badgley held memberships in many medical societies and was elected to honorary membership in several outside the United States. He served as Governor of the American College of Surgeons, was elected Secretary of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons in 1937, and served in this capacity until 1941 when he became President-Elect. He served as the Academy’s 11th President in 1942-43 and during this tenure the Instructional Course Program of the Academy was developed. He instituted the printing of these courses, which were initially in book form, by an Ann Arbor firm and spent many hours reviewing the proofs for these early editions.