“There is a real excitement in the Department of Surgery, as we work to improve medical practice today, while inventing the ‘surgery of the future.’ Surgery is in a period of enormous growth and change, and we are looking forward to a very bright future.”
— Dr. Michael W. Mulholland, Department Chair
We’re making the Michigan Difference at the Department of Surgery through our commitment to expert, innovative, and compassionate health care — and by continuing our department’s proud 150-year tradition by training the next generation of surgeon leaders.
The U-M Department of Surgery will create a positive, substantive impact on human health, through collaboration among clinicians, scientists, medical and business professionals to achieve:
- Highly effective, compassionate patient care
- Innovative science and meaningful discovery
- Superior, engaging education
The U-M Department of Surgery will be the best such academic group in the world, dedicated to:
- Improving patients’ chances of healthy survival while bettering the quality of their care
- Discovering and developing insights, innovations and tools needed to better prevent and treat disease
- Educating next generations of surgeons and researchers
The people of the U-M Department of Surgery are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of:
- Respect and compassion
See what sets us apart in our expertise and delivery of clinical care.
Find information for prospective residents, fellows, and other trainees.