Dr. Lee obtained his Ph.D. in 2006 from Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology and received his postdoctoral training at the Department of Pharmacology at the University of California, San Diego. Currently, Dr. Lee is an assistant professor at the Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology at the University of Michigan.
Areas of Interest
My lab studies the relationship between stress, aging and metabolism, currently focusing on the following projects:
(1) Homeostatic role of Sestrins in gastrointestinal organs including liver and colon, (2) Biochemical mechanisms underlying Sestrins’ physiological functions, (3) Molecular mechanisms underlying physiological autophagy regulation, and (4) Pathogenetic mechanisms of how autophagy is abrogated in human diseases including non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and movement disorders.
Honors & Awards
- Basic Science Award (2013), awarded by American Diabetes Association (ADA).
- Ellison New Scholar in Aging (2012), awarded by the Ellison Medical Foundation (EMF).
- Liver Scholar (2012), awarded by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) and the American Liver Foundation (ALF)
- Research Career Development Core Award (2012), awarded by the Claude Pepper Older Americans Independence Center at the University of Michigan
- University of Michigan Biological Scholar (2011), awarded by UM Biological Science Scholars Program.
- Postdoctoral Travel Award (2010), awarded by Society for Developmental Biology
- Human Frontier Science Program Long-term Fellow (2008-2011), awarded by International Human Frontier Science Program Organization (HFSPO).
- 10 Outstanding Scientist (2007), nominated by Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) and Korean Science and Engineering Foundation (KOSEF).
- Next Generation Fellowship (2007-2008), awarded by Korea Research Foundation (KRF).
- Valedictorian (2006), nominated by KAIST.
- The Best Korean Scientist (2002-2012), nominated by Biological Research Information Center (BRIC).
- National Scholarship (2000-2005), awarded by MOST.
- Summa Cum Laude (2000), awarded by KAIST.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship (1997-1999), awarded by KAIST.
- Excellence Scholarship for 1st class new students (1997), awarded by KAIST.
- PhD, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology