Areas of Interest
My lab’s goals are to investigate how adipocytes throughout the body develop, function, and interact with other cell types near and afar. We also strive to create a training environment that promotes rigorous pursuit of scientific truths and fosters the refinement of leadership and communication skills.
Honors & Awards
- Henry Pickering Bowditch Award. American Physiological Society
- Basic Science Achievement Award, University of Michigan Medical School
- Rackham Distinguished Graduate Mentoring Award, University of Michigan
- League of Research Excellence, University of Michigan Medical School
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- League of Educational Excellence, University of Michigan Medical School
- Fellow of The Obesity Society
- Fulbright Scholar Award (All disciplines) to the University of Cambridge, UK
- Bodil M. Schmidt-Nielsen Distinguished Mentor and Scientist Award, American Physiological Society
- 1982-1986 University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada; BSc (Agr)
- 1986-1988 Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan; M.S.
- 1988-1992 Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan; Ph.D. (Department of Physiology; Advisor: Donald B. Jump)
- 1992-1996 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland; (Department of Biological Chemistry; Laboratory of M. Daniel Lane)
Published Articles or Reviews
- G-CSF partially mediates effects of sleeve gastrectomy on the bone marrow niche. Li Z, Hardij J, Evers SS, Hutch CR, Choi SM, Shao Y, Learman BS, Lewis KT, Schill RL, Mori H, Bagchi DP, Romanelli SM, Kim KS, Bowers E, Griffin C, Seeley RJ, Singer K, Sandoval DA, Rosen CJ, MacDougald OA. J Clin Invest. 2019 May 6;130:2404-2416. doi: 10.1172/JCI126173.
- Bone marrow adipocytes resist lipolysis and remodeling in response to β-adrenergic stimulation. Scheller EL, Khandaker S, Learman BS, Cawthorn WP, Anderson LM, Pham HA, Robles H, Wang Z, Li Z, Parlee SD, Simon BR, Mori H, Bree AJ, Craft CS, MacDougald OA. Bone. 2019 Jan;118:32-41. doi: 10.1016/j.bone.2018.01.016.
- The E3 ubiquitin ligase parkin is dispensable for metabolic homeostasis in murine pancreatic β cells and adipocytes. Corsa CAS, Pearson GL, Renberg A, Askar MM, Vozheiko T, MacDougald OA, Soleimanpour SA. J Biol Chem. 2019 May 3;294(18):7296-7307. doi: 10.1074/jbc.RA118.006763.
- Niche Determines Adipocyte Character I. Bagchi DP, Forss I, Mandrup S, MacDougald OA. Cell Metab. 2018 Jan 9;27(1):264-264.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2017.11.012.
- Niche Determines Adipocyte Character II. Bagchi DP, Forss I, Mandrup S, MacDougald OA. Cell Metab. 2018 Jan 9;27(1):266-266.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2017.11.013.
- On Mentorship, Perseverance, and Generosity. MacDougald OA. Physiologist. 2017 Mar;60(2):67-9.
Additional Publications in Pubmed