Wendy R. Uhlmann, MS, LCGC, is the director/senior genetic counselor of the Medical Genetics Clinic (adults). She is a Clinical Professor in the Departments of Internal Medicine and Human Genetics and notably was the first faculty member to achieve this rank in the medical school with a master’s degree. She is an executive faculty member of the Genetic Counseling Program, an executive committee member of University of Michigan’s ELSI (ethical, legal and social implications) Research Training Program, member of the IMPOWER Council (addressing issues of DEI and Wellness) and Adult Ethics Committee.
Wendy Uhlmann is a Past President of the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC) and previously served on the Board of Directors of the Genetic Alliance, NSGC’s liaison to the National Advisory Council for Human Genome Research and on the ELSI Congress Organizing Committee. Currently she serves on the Board of Directors of the American Society of Human Genetics, the Editorial Board of the Journal of Genetic Counseling and the Scientific Advisory Board of the Michigan Biotrust.
Wendy Uhlmann co-edited the first two editions of the book “A Guide to Genetic Counseling,” which is used internationally in genetic counseling graduate programs. Wendy Uhlmann was the recipient of NSGC’s Regional Leadership Award (1996), the Outstanding Volunteer Award (2009), the Natalie Weissberger Paul Lifetime Achievement Award (2011) and University of Michigan’s Basic Sciences Teaching Award in Human Genetics (2013). She teaches in courses in the genetic counseling program, medical school and School of Public health in addition to providing clinical supervision for trainees and serving as a research mentor.
Areas of Interest
- Predictive genetic testing
- Ethical issues and genetics
- Return of results (research and clinical)
- Genetics policy issues
- Integration of genetics into healthcare
Honors & Awards
2013 - University of Michigan, Basic Science Teaching Award in Human Genetics
2011 - National Society of Genetic Counselors Natalie Weisberger Paul Lifetime Achievement Award
2009 - National Society of Genetic Counselors, Outstanding Volunteer Award
1996 - National Society of Genetic Counselors, Regional Leadership Award
1987 - MS Human Genetics with specialization in genetic counseling, University of Michigan
1983 - BA Biology, Oberlin College
Incorporating Genetic Testing Into the Care of Patients With Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis/Frontotemporal Degeneration Spectrum Disorders.
Chambers C, Lichten L, Crook A, Uhlmann WR, Dratch L.Neurol Clin Pract. 2023 Oct;13(5):e200201. doi: 10.1212/CPJ.0000000000200201. Epub 2023 Sep 15.PMID: 37736067
Assessment of the Needs of Nephrology Divisions to Implement Return of Clinically Significant Research Genetic Results: A Survey of Nephrotic Syndrome Study Network (NEPTUNE) Investigators.
Fishbein JE, Dass LW, Lienczewski C, Kretzler M, Gbadegesin RA, Roberts JS; NEPTUNE; Sampson MG, Uhlmann WR.Glomerular Dis. 2023 Aug 21;3(1):178-188. doi: 10.1159/000533501. eCollection 2023 Jan-Dec.PMID: 37901694 Free PMC article.
Defining critical educational components of informed consent for genetic testing: views of US-based genetic counselors and medical geneticists.
Hallquist MLG, Borensztein MJ, Coughlin CR 2nd, Buchanan AH, Andrew Faucett W, Peay HL, Smith ME, Tricou EP, Uhlmann WR, Wain KE, Ormond KE.Eur J Hum Genet. 2023 Oct;31(10):1165-1174. doi: 10.1038/s41431-023-01401-0. Epub 2023 Jun 12.PMID: 37308598
Tools for communicating risk for Parkinson's disease.
Cook L, Schulze J, Uhlmann WR, Verbrugge J, Marder K, Lee AJ, Wang Y, Alcalay RN, Nance M, Beck JC.NPJ Parkinsons Dis. 2022 Nov 29;8(1):164. doi: 10.1038/s41531-022-00432-6.PMID: 36446806 Free PMC article.
The goldilocks conundrum: Disclosing discrimination risks in informed consent.
Prince AER, Suter SM, Uhlmann WR, Scherer AM.J Genet Couns. 2022 Dec;31(6):1383-1393. doi: 10.1002/jgc4.1613. Epub 2022 Aug 5.PMID: 35930740 Free PMC article. Clinical Trial.
- Baker DL, Schuette JL, Uhlmann WR (ed.). A Guide to Genetic Counseling. 1st edition. Wiley-Liss Inc.: New York, 1998
- Uhlmann WR, Schuette JL, Yashar BM (ed.) A Guide to Genetic Counseling 2nd edition. Wiley-Blackwell: New York, NY. July 2009
- Krivchenia EL, Greb A, Sargent K, Uhlmann WR: Genetic Counseling. Reproductive Risks and Prenatal Diagnosis, Evans MI (editor) Appleton & Lange, Norwalk, CT, 1992. 2, 25-42
- Uhlmann WR: A Guide to Case Management. A Guide to Genetic Counseling, Baker DL, Schuette JL, Uhlmann WR (editors) Wiley-Liss Inc., New York, NY, 1998. 8, 199-229
- Uhlmann WR, Terry SF: Perspectives of Consumers and Genetics Professionals. Genetics and Life Insurance: Medical Underwriting and Social Policy, Rothstein MA (editor) MIT Press, Boston, MA, 2004. 7, 147-172
- Uhlmann WR: Ethical Dilemmas in Neurogenetics. Neurogenetics: Scientific and Clinical Advances, Lynch D, Farmer JM (editors) Taylor & Francis, 2006. 5, 87-106
- Uhlmann WR: Thinking It All Through: Case Preparation and Management. A Guide to Genetic Counseling 2nd edition, Uhlmann WR, Schuette JL, Yashar BM (editors) Wiley-Blackwell, New York, NY, 2009. 2nd, 4, 93-131
- Uhlmann WR: Genetic Counseling. Rosenberg's Molecular and Genetic Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disease, Rosenberg RN, Pascual JM (editors) Elsevier, 2014. 5th, 12, 127-133
- Uhlmann WR, Roberts JS: Ethical Issues in Neurogenetics. Handbook of Clinical Neurology 3rd Series, Geschwind DH, Paulson HL, Klein C (editors) Elsevier, 2018. 3, 23-36
- Uhlmann, WR: Genetic Counseling. Rosenberg's Molecular and Genetic Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disease, Volume 1, Sixth Edition, Roger N. Rosenberg and Juan M. Pascual Elsevier, 2020. Sixth, 16, 209-219
- Eble TN, Uhlmann WR, Hipp LE: Genetic Counseling for Adults. Handbook of Clinical Adult Genetics and Genomics: A Practice-Based Approach, Dhar SU, Nagamani SCS, Eble TN Elsevier: Academic Press, 2020. 1st, 4, 31-42
- Uhlmann WR. When Genes Are Decoded, Who Should See the Results?(link is external) Invited essay, New York Times. Page D7, February 29, 2000
- Uhlmann WR. Why we need to talk openly about death: The ultimate homework assignment(link is external). Newsweek.com, My Turn: Health Triumphs. October 3, 2008
- The Evolving Field of Genetic Testing(link is external)
- Where the Genetics Revolution Meets the Patient(link is external)
- Department of Internal Medicine Faculty Spotlight
- Department of Internal Medicine 2019 Annual Report - Blazing a New Trail
- “Keep Persisting” Medicine at Michigan(link is external)
- ABGC (American Board of Genetic Counseling) Spotlight(link is external)
- 40 Years of the Genetic Counseling Profession